PDA

View Full Version : Flexibility of jobs

icecreamgirl
April 30th 2006, 01:16 AM
My husband-to-be has been encouraging me to pursue actuarial science, and for the time being it is simply a hobby. I was wondering, however, about taking it more seriously and am scoping out the practicality of making it into a career. As plans currently stand, he will be joining the Marines soon after we are married.

Does anyone here have (or know of someone who has) an actuarial position and a spouse in the service? Are there any actuarial positions where it is not a problem to be moving frequently? What alternatives are there?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Ken
April 30th 2006, 01:52 AM
It depends on how often you'll be moving and where.

icecreamgirl
May 1st 2006, 06:00 AM
It depends on how often you'll be moving and where.

That is unknown right now, and will depend on where the Marines say to go when.

Trojan_Horse
May 1st 2006, 08:00 AM
It may be possible to find something like this once you're an associate but I doubt anyone would hire you into a student program knowing that you'd be leaving relatively soon. You could of course choose not to tell them but it may come back to bite you. My father was in the Marines and we spent no more than two years at any one location; this isn't always the case but is pretty typical. You'll also need to hope for good locations. Camp Pendleton just north of San Diego and Quantico Virginia would both work for finding an actuarial position but that's about it for Marine Corps bases. Good Luck.