PDA

View Full Version : experience

jeps1lon
May 4th 2006, 11:29 AM
I've noticed in all these job postings that most if not all actuary jobs available require at least 2 years experience in whatever the position is calling for.

I hope I don't come off as stupid, but what the heck, how are you supposed to gain this experience if you haven't had an internship or such.

How often do companies hire people and allow them to acclimate themselves with the work (having little to no experience, by passing 1 or 2 exams, and having a bachelor's in a related field)?

Shine some light on me.

Trojan_Horse
May 4th 2006, 12:31 PM
There are plenty of entry level jobs requiring no experience. You typically need to have passed at least one exam but if you've passed two, you should have no problem finding a job (given you aren't a complete introvert and can interview well). Many companies don't list their entry level positions on job sites like monster.com but you can find them if you go to the job postings on the company's own website. Good luck.

crayolaab
May 4th 2006, 08:45 PM
I've noticed in all these job postings that most if not all actuary jobs available require at least 2 years experience in whatever the position is calling for.

I hope I don't come off as stupid, but what the heck, how are you supposed to gain this experience if you haven't had an internship or such.

How often do companies hire people and allow them to acclimate themselves with the work (having little to no experience, by passing 1 or 2 exams, and having a bachelor's in a related field)?

Shine some light on me.

I got lucky and found a job. My company advertises it as an "analyst" position - no exams required, not exam track, but you can move into exam track after successful completion of exams. It's been a great way to start in the field with no experience and no exams ;)

PhillyP
May 4th 2006, 09:22 PM
I did the same thing as crayolaab.

Ken
May 4th 2006, 11:10 PM
I applied to a lot of the 2 years experience jobs with no experience and some of them called me back anyways.

southrj1
June 9th 2006, 09:56 AM
Try applying to the 2 yr positions anyway. You may still have a chance if you have passed some exams. But there are other ways to get into the industry. I second the recommendation to start with an analyst position. Moving into an actuarial position after an analyst position is a nice progression. Your other option is to '''' it up for a couple months and do an internship. Getting a full time position after that will be easier. Good luck!

jyoti_rayaprol
June 28th 2006, 09:31 AM
I got lucky and found a job. My company advertises it as an "analyst" position - no exams required, not exam track, but you can move into exam track after successful completion of exams. It's been a great way to start in the field with no experience and no exams ;)

Where do I look for a job in this field- requiring no exams or experience? Which companies hire for entry level positions and where do they post these jobs?

binky_4me
June 28th 2006, 09:55 AM
i have found that browsing thru some of the recruiter websites, they seem to have some that don't require exams/experience. one in particular is sc international. just have to look around... sometimes i'll spend a couple of hours just browsing and you'd be surprised at what you'll find. even on some of the company's websites, towers perrin for example, you can be hired into their actuarial program without exams. the company i work for doesn't require exams. safeco has some positions every now and then not requiring exams. those are some i can think of that i've seen recently. if you do a google search on "actuarial training programs", "actuarial student programs", and "actuarial development programs" you'll see a lot of companys to look thru. good luck with that!

Irish Blues
June 28th 2006, 12:17 PM
Where do I look for a job in this field- requiring no exams or experience? Which companies hire for entry level positions and where do they post these jobs?
If you have no experience and you've got no exams passed, you're not going to get considered. Period.

Trojan_Horse
June 28th 2006, 01:10 PM
Irish Blues is right. In the past this was not necessarily the case but the entry-level market has become more competitive. Pass an exam or two, then apply. The better qualified you are when you begin applying, the more you will like the offers you get and the companies they come from. :)

funmatiks
June 28th 2006, 02:33 PM
similar situation in Jamaica whereby companies are asking for experience in a particular field, when you've just finished your bachellors.

I've had several conversations with my math professor and professional actuaries , and they all suggested that i pass at least one exam before going on the job hunt. One actuary said particularly two exams passed is ideal for the job market-many times even without experience.