PDA

View Full Version : Can an older teacher find an entry-level job in Los Angeles, CA?

David1969
May 22nd 2006, 11:35 PM
I sat for the May 2006 P/1 exam and think it likely that I passed. I have a BS in Math from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and have been teaching at a low-performing public school in the San Fernando valley for the past two years. First, I'd like to know if 36 is too old to think about getting into this profession. Studying for the P/1 exam was such a labor of love, I wish it wasn't over.:p Can my passion for math and good communication skills make me an attractive entry level candidate, though I'm older than the average?
Second, I wonder whether it's realistic to look for entry-level work in Los Angeles. Most of the jobs I see posted are in the Midwest and East, at least at my level. --Dave

jhannise
September 24th 2007, 07:38 PM
I'm in the same situation- any news on the acturial market? The school systems in LA are driving me nuts.

Mosaic
September 25th 2007, 07:38 AM
Try Farmers in LA. Their employment application webpage leaves something to be desired. Send a resume in through the address on the SOA Actuarial Development program page. I met an analyst who had previously been a Math teacher in LA when I interviewed there. As for the age question, they were willing to talk to me, and I am not a recent college graduate either.