PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Actuarial Jobs???

gilbo125
May 25th 2006, 10:05 PM
I am in the process of relocating with my family to the Sacramento, CA area. I was curious if anyone knew anything about the job environment for actuaries in this area of the country. I am currently a math teacher in the process of changing careers. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Skowron
May 26th 2006, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the area, gilbo. I've lived in Sacramento for a couple of years now, so while I may not be a true authority of the area, I think can lend a helpful perspective as a relative newcomer.

Judging from the SOA database, if you live in Sacramento and you're an actuary, chances are you are employed by the largest defined benefit retirement system in the world - CalPERS. There's a few hoops you have to jump through to qualify for State work, but they're just formalities

I don't want to say they're the only gig in town - there's a couple of consulting firms here and there - but they're certainly the largest. If you're willing to commute, there's a little city called San Francisco about 2 hours away chock full of insurance and consulting company headquarters. I interviewed for a position out there once, and I would have taken the job if it was offered, but I'd have to move closer.

Where are you teaching? Send a PM if you want to talk more about Sacto, or if you have more questions.