PDA

View Full Version : Resume advice needed

dbdakota
January 5th 2011, 07:21 PM
First resume...advice please and thank you. Be kind LOL.

Exams
Successfully Completed SOA/CAS Exam P/1
Successfully Completed SOA/CAS Exam FM/2
Preparations begun for SOA/CAS Exam MFE/3F

Education
St. Petersburg College, St. Petersburg, FL
B.A.S. Management and Organizational Leadership, May 2011
• 3.5 GPA
• VEE Economics Complete
• B.S. in Natural Health Studies Clayton College of Natural Health May 2006

Work Experience
Math Teacher, Pinellas Park, FL
Classical Christian School for the Arts, 2006-Present
• Middle School Honors Level Math Teacher

Self-Employed, Clearwater, FL
Baker Civil Consulting, 2006 - 2007
• Permitted Storm Water Treatment Facilities for various businesses within Pinellas County.

Engineering, Clearwater, FL
Northside Engineering, 2005-2006
• Project Coordinator, responsible for editing plans in conjunction with municipal regulation.

General Contracting, Baltimore, MD
Melvin Benhoff & Sons, 2002-2005
• Estimation Facilitator, responsible for calculating the quantities needed for estimating General Contracting projects, and pricing materials through our sub-contractors.

Skills
• Proficient in: Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
• Jobs of note with which I had a major role: “Relocation of Soil Conservation Road” at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt MD, I had the role of acting office engineer; “Trump Tower of Tampa” in which my role was to design and permit the utilities through the City of Tampa.
• Has successfully managed large civil engineering and general contracting projects.
• Devotion to lifelong learning in business and personal success as evidenced by my unyielding pursuit of FSA designation and a strong following of the works of Tony Robbins, Napoleon Hill, and Brian Tracy.
• Business and people skills acquired during the operation of my own LLC “Baker Civil Consulting”
• Real-world application of acquired knowledge through the responsibilities of working for both an Engineering Firm and a General Contractor.

Associations
• Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
• Captain of the Wrestling team received award for “hardest worker”
• Former member of the American Subcontractors Association
• Pinellas Park Chamber of Commerce associate member

dbdakota
January 9th 2011, 08:27 PM
sixty views and no advice? Come on people. LOL. Is it THAT bad? (:

Irish Blues
January 11th 2011, 09:16 AM
I'd make the following changes:

-- Strike "Preparations begun for SOA/CAS Exam MFE/3F", employers only want to know if you passed an exam. They don't care about misses or "I'm planning to take", it's either "I passed" or nothing.
-- Add the dates you passed 1/P and 2/FM on each respective line.
-- Move your VEE in Economics up to the Exams section on top.
-- Set off your degree at Clayton College of Natural Health as a separate item since it wasn't related to your degree at St. Petersburg College.
-- Since you haven't yet graduated from St. Petersburg College, put the dates you've been enrolled and mention that you expect to graduate in May, 2011. [Also add the dates you attended CCNH ... but, you shouldn't have to do anything else there.]
-- "Has successfully managed large civil engineering and general contracting projects." Remove the word "has" at a minimum.
-- "Devotion to lifelong learning in business and personal success as evidenced by my unyielding pursuit of FSA designation and a strong following of the works of Tony Robbins, Napoleon Hill, and Brian Tracy." Strike it completely; it's assumed you're pursuing an FSA/FCAS designation, so there's no need to state as much on the resume.
-- "Business and people skills acquired during the operation of my own LLC “Baker Civil Consulting” " - strike this as well; you mention the LLC in work experience so it will be assumed you acquired/have those skills as a result.
"Real-world application of acquired knowledge through the responsibilities of working for both an Engineering Firm and a General Contractor." - again, strike this. Same logic as above.
-- " Captain of the Wrestling team received award for “hardest worker” " - strike this, too.

From there,
-- If you know any programming languages [C, C++, VBA, Java, etc.], add those in.
-- If you know SAS, add it in as well.

After that, find your career center at St. Petersburg College and ask them to review your resume. They should be able to help with further tweaks.

dbdakota
January 13th 2011, 09:18 AM
thank you I. Blue, that's good advice.

DG11
January 15th 2011, 07:07 AM
Self-employment has advantages and disadvantages. Opportunities are created to take on responsibilities and take initiative that show off ones character, but it can be difficult to encapsulate within a resume the many roles taken on. Depending on your situation you may be CEO, Production Manager, and occasional Janitor in the same operation.

Be very clear and direct with any relevant experience you may have.

If you saved yourself money by leveraging Excel or other programs in exchange for the benefits of more expensive software packages, mention it. "Proficient in: yada yada." is the most common wording for describing ones computer prowess. You will be a cut above if you can demonstrate examples of what you have done rather than passive statements.

These ideas have somewhat blended together. Two points of advice here.

*Clarify the skills you have obtained through self employment.

*Demonstrate examples of computer skills rather than state proficiency. Proficiency is subject. Flash drives loaded with examples to demo stand out. At least be ready to describe jobs in which you used those skills to provide a direct benefit. Not all computer skills require certifications, but dispersion between applicants is large here. Give concrete examples.