PDA

View Full Version : question on practice exam C

whatever_this_is
January 13th 2011, 05:12 PM
on question #6 of the provided practice exam on beanactuary.com, they have this symbol [E^500], does anyone know what it stands for? I've never seen it before.

Also, does anyone know if it's sufficient to know all the practice questions on that website, or will there be topics not covered on the practice exam but will be on the actual exam?

Thanks!

NoMoreExams
January 13th 2011, 05:59 PM
on question #6 of the provided practice exam on beanactuary.com, they have this symbol [E^500], does anyone know what it stands for? I've never seen it before.

Also, does anyone know if it's sufficient to know all the practice questions on that website, or will there be topics not covered on the practice exam but will be on the actual exam?

Thanks!

X /\ x just means min(X,x) so if you have a policy limit of 1000, for the insurer, they will pay X if it's less than x i.e. if X < x then min(X,x) = X or if X is greater than x they will pay x i.e. if X > x then min(X,x) = x.

(this is also the wedge product operator but obviously means a different thing in this context)

As far as your other question... have you taken other exams? Similar logic applies

whatever_this_is
January 14th 2011, 05:15 PM
well i took P/1 using only the practice exam from beanactuary.com and I got a 9, but I failed studying using only the practice exam for FM since there are a lot of stuff not covered...
only afterwards I noticed there's a different section for stock related questions and other stuff not covered by the sample questions and answers page(option spreads, zero-coupon bonds, etc)

I just want to make sure the practice for exam C covers all the materials more or less

I'm also taking FM again in Feb, so I have two in one month and I wouldn't want to spend time looking at stuff I don't really need, but I'm afraid I'll fail C the same reason I failed FM

alekhine4149
January 14th 2011, 06:30 PM
well i took P/1 using only the practice exam from beanactuary.com and I got a 9, but I failed studying using only the practice exam for FM since there are a lot of stuff not covered...
only afterwards I noticed there's a different section for stock related questions and other stuff not covered by the sample questions and answers page(option spreads, zero-coupon bonds, etc)

I just want to make sure the practice for exam C covers all the materials more or less

I'm also taking FM again in Feb, so I have two in one month and I wouldn't want to spend time looking at stuff I don't really need, but I'm afraid I'll fail C the same reason I failed FM

It's time to buy a study manual.

NoMoreExams
January 14th 2011, 09:05 PM

Really? There are no sample questions for derivatives in the FM syllabus?

NBran
January 14th 2011, 10:36 PM
Really? There are no sample questions for derivatives in the FM syllabus?

Dang. I must have pulled those ~30 McDonald DM questions out of the air.

whatever_this_is
January 15th 2011, 03:25 PM
well it's on the syllabus but not on this sample questions page...
http://www.beanactuary.org/exams/exam_sample.cfm
it's my bad for not looking at the syllabus, but this is what I mean by it's not on the sample questions

NoMoreExams
January 15th 2011, 03:30 PM
well it's on the syllabus but not on this sample questions page...
http://www.beanactuary.org/exams/exam_sample.cfm
it's my bad for not looking at the syllabus, but this is what I mean by it's not on the sample questions

You mean they included a SECOND set of sample questions to account for DM material? Yes, it is the student's responsibility to check the syllabus for updates.

whatever_this_is
January 17th 2011, 12:51 PM
yea they did, on the syllabus
that's why I said it's my bad for not checking out the syllabus, goodbye 200 dollars

alekhine4149
January 18th 2011, 12:07 PM
yea they did, on the syllabus
that's why I said it's my bad for not checking out the syllabus, goodbye 200 dollars

What do you need an actuarial salary for? You sound cheap! Much less stressful to operate a forklift. There is no career where you get such huge advances for such little money - just charge it to your card and enjoy the massive return on investment. $200 is an absolute steal - they undercharge for these things.