PDA

View Full Version : Actuarial Analyst vs. Actuary

WyoFire
February 7th 2011, 02:58 PM
I have an interview this week for an actarial analyst position. I remember reading somewhere (possibly this forum) that there is a difference between an actuary and an actuarial analyst. Is this true? I'm just trying to get an idea about how much I can expect to get paid before my interview (my decision to accept a job offer would not be based on pay.) It is an entry level position. Thoughts?

alekhine4149
February 7th 2011, 06:02 PM
Yes, actuarial analyst is a common title for entry level actuarial workers. Some companies may use the title associate actuarial analyst instead. But they mean the same thing - you are a noob who does dull grunt work.

Actuary is a common title you receive when you become credentialed. At this point, you have experience, improved people skills, and a gut feeling for the work you do. You are often trusted with more interesting work and perceived as a leader. There are even some documents that law only permits an actuary to sign - not an analyst. By convention, actuarial analysts should not refer to themselves as actuaries.

There are well known online actuarial salary surveys that give ideas of what you can expect for a salary. Both titles are in the same table - only the actuarial analyst is somewhere in the upper left, and the actuary is somewhere in the lower right. Good luck.

WyoFire
February 8th 2011, 12:15 AM
So what I meant to ask is if there is a difference between an entry level actuary and an actuarial analyst. Sorry for not being clear, but I still think you answered it. Thank you.

I remember someone somewhere saying the two are not the same and that actuarial analysts make less than a typical entry level actuary.

RWL288
February 21st 2011, 07:31 AM
Is there any difference between and Actuarial Analyst and Actuarial Assistant? I know a lot of jobs with "assistant" in the title are basically a step up from secretaries. For example, my aunt is a "Stock Broker's Assistant" but she's far from being a stock broker, she didn't even go to college. Is it different for the actuarial profession, because I see a lot of jobs for actuarial assistants and they often require college degrees and some exams passed?

Irish Blues
February 21st 2011, 02:05 PM
An "Actuarial Assistant" is nothing like "Executive Assistant." Typically, the job levels [lowest to highest] are:

Actuarial Analyst [typically entry-level or < 2 years experience]
Sr. Actuarial Analyst
Associate Actuary [roughly ASA/ACAS]
Assistant Actuary [generally FSA/FCAS]
Actuary [managerial level]
Senior Actuary [above that; generally in charge of some department in the company]

RWL288
February 22nd 2011, 07:57 AM
An "Actuarial Assistant" is nothing like "Executive Assistant." Typically, the job levels [lowest to highest] are:

Sr. Actuarial Analyst
Senior Actuary [above that; generally in charge of some department in the company]

Ok, thanks. This is very helpful!

NBran
February 22nd 2011, 10:00 AM

Sr. Actuarial Analyst

I believe a lot of CAS companies have entry-level positions called "Actuarial Technician." Of course, all titles differ from company to company so just read job descriptions. If cold-calling or e-mailing, refer to the position as entry-level actuarial position.

Irish Blues
February 22nd 2011, 12:01 PM
I believe a lot of CAS companies have entry-level positions called "Actuarial Technician." Of course, all titles differ from company to company so just read job descriptions. If cold-calling or e-mailing, refer to the position as entry-level actuarial position.
Every company will tweak job titles to suit its own purpose; I've seen "Sr. Actuarial Analyst" called "Actuarial Assistant" or "Actuarial Associate" or similar. There's no way I can [or would] compile the complete list of titles and group them by range - all I was trying to do was give a general idea.

NBran
February 22nd 2011, 06:47 PM
Every company will tweak job titles to suit its own purpose; I've seen "Sr. Actuarial Analyst" called "Actuarial Assistant" or "Actuarial Associate" or similar. There's no way I can [or would] compile the complete list of titles and group them by range - all I was trying to do was give a general idea.

I completely agree. I was just offering the name to help familiarize the OP with another EL position name.