PDA

View Full Version : I am thinking I might give up too!!!

Double T
June 23rd 2006, 03:37 PM
I did try very hard to pass the first exam, and I am ready for the FM exam in November......I also had about 5 interviews after I got my result with 7.

Most of the companies let me spoke with the manager after the first interview. However, they all rejected me by my GPA. They all said my gpa is not that outstanding (<3.0), and no internship experience, but I told them after the first exam, I feel so confident to pass more and more exams. Right now, I feel like I have no chance because I didn't do well in college, and I feel it is doom for me because even I pass 2nd, or 3rd exam, they might still reject me by the same reason.............do u all think so???

If it is true, I don't want to waste my time, or maybe find the other career path.

thanks for advise:mad: :( :confused:

Trojan_Horse
June 23rd 2006, 03:58 PM
Passing another exam or two will help you overcome your GPA, but there may be a bigger problem. Your communication skills, at least written, are very weak. Poor communication skills will kill your chances faster than anything else. I suggest you work on this before any further interviews.

djerry81
June 23rd 2006, 05:09 PM
is english your primary language?

Irish Blues
June 23rd 2006, 10:34 PM
I got interviews but no serious consideration until I passed the 2nd exam - after that, I got *much* more serious consideration.

Pass the 2nd exam, get help with interview skills, work on communicating effectively ... - don't throw in the towel just yet.

Ken
June 24th 2006, 12:02 PM
If you can get interviews, the stuff on the resum&#233; isn't the problem. It's how you sell yourself.

Double T
June 24th 2006, 04:25 PM
No, english is not my first langauge.

I was a little upset yesterday when I was posting the thread. I am going to give myself a little more time. Maybe wait and see what is going on after I pass the exam 2. In the meantime, I am going to take some classes to improve my written and spoken english. Do u think public speech and technical writting are useful?? or any suggestion??

Thank you very much

PhillyP
June 25th 2006, 12:21 PM
If you enjoy actuarial science and you are sure it is what you want to do, I would suggest looking into a analyst position which does not require exams as a starting point. Once you get your foot in the door at a company you can prove your worth and get into the actuarial student program. Also, if your GPA in your major was higher than your overall, I would emphasize this on your resume...maybe even leave your overall GPA out

tommydeepowla
June 27th 2006, 08:22 AM
My GPA was about 3.0, I was a music major with 1 exam, no experience, and I went on alot more than 5 interviews before I got my first job. I wouldn't give up just yet.

Thomas H
June 27th 2006, 06:56 PM
If you continue not to find a job maybe you should think about going back for a graduate degree?

xiangxiang
June 27th 2006, 09:13 PM
Is your major in college Actuary? If not, why they care so much about your GPA?

Trojan_Horse
June 28th 2006, 07:35 AM
Until you've passed a few exams, your GPA gives employers an idea of your commitment to studying.

YKT
June 29th 2006, 12:35 AM
Until you've passed a few exams, your GPA gives employers an idea of your commitment to studying.

So, if candidate passed 2 or 3 exams, will the employers think you already commited to actuarial exam and your gpa will be less weight??

thanks

Trojan_Horse
June 29th 2006, 08:39 AM
Yes. The more exams passed, the less important your GPA.

Math teacher
June 29th 2006, 03:22 PM
I posted my message in the wrong place.

Sorry,
Math Teacher