PDA

View Full Version : What is the right time to start job-hunting?

shawle
July 1st 2006, 05:09 PM
Hi, I am now in my second year of graduate study in actuarial science and am gonna graduate next summer. I've passed the first two exams but don't have relavent intern experience.
I really want to start job-hunting early but I wonder if it's too early to apply for the currently posted jobs now. Will the employers be willing to hold the position until I graduate or they just think I am wasting their time? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Trojan_Horse
July 1st 2006, 07:32 PM
I suggest you begin applying about 2 months before you graduate. Most employers will hold an entry level position for a new graduate for a month but not much longer than that. Good luck.

Denny Crane
July 1st 2006, 09:58 PM
Some companies to on campus interviews as early as November/December for the following May graduates.

shawle
July 3rd 2006, 03:07 PM
Thank you for the replies. Then I guess I need to get myself ready and wait for a while.

mreevit
July 19th 2006, 08:25 PM
I suggest you create a resume and post it online at AGN. Some of the larger consulting firms will start looking as early as 6 months before an academic year ends.
Also, you could create a resume and post it on monster and passively search. Make sure you are clear about when you can start...put it on the top of your resume in a summary section.

For now, you could try to find a company that would hire a part-time intern.

best of luck.