PDA

View Full Version : Question about VEE

pssethi303
July 4th 2006, 12:35 PM
I have cleared the first two exams and since I do not have an Actuarial background I want to clear all the VEE exams on my own before I take Exam M. I was delighted when I found that NEAS has approval for these courses online from SOA and people like me can do them on their own without having to go to college.
But when I went to their website there was something which was of immediate concern. NEAS expects us to find out a Proctor on our own who can conduct the VEE exams for us. You are out of luck if you cannot find one because NEAS will not help you as I found out by writing them an email.
If you are not already working in the field or don't know anyone it is rather difficult to find a Proctor.
Is there anyone out there who is doing these courses in the Toronto area and has found a Proctor for himself/herself? Or anyone who can solve this problem as I am working full time in a different field and I cannot attend college and that is why I am considering this option. Any views or suggestions??

masu
July 4th 2006, 05:33 PM
Fortunately, I am having the same online course now, so maybe I can tell you my experience.
Just write a letter to ask them. I got a reply that I can find a professor, in any university, to proctor my test only if I do have no way to find out such a proctor, as ASA, FSA and so on.

pssethi303
July 5th 2006, 09:36 PM
Fortunately, I am having the same online course now, so maybe I can tell you my experience.
Just write a letter to ask them. I got a reply that I can find a professor, in any university, to proctor my test only if I do have no way to find out such a proctor, as ASA, FSA and so on.

I think that should help, I shall write to them again and see how it goes. It seems kind of lame if we chose a Proctor only to find out later that SOA does not approve of him.That is my only worry as it was mentioned in one of the FAQs on their website that it is a possibility..

mcnealk
December 27th 2007, 04:18 PM
Any university or community college can proctor your exam. I've had tests proctored at a community college, and they usually charge $25. Contact the admin departement at you local university or community college, and they will be able to assist you.

at3
January 4th 2008, 12:21 PM
I've just registered the NEAS online course. I have the same problem as I can't find a qualified proctor in the city. As you guys mentioned, I will find a professor in local university to monitor the exam for me.