PDA

View Full Version : I am an older person wondering.

michaelfm2003
July 12th 2006, 10:49 AM
Is it to late to consder a career(40yrs) change. I have recently return to college and will be finishing an accounting degree in December, also, I am wondering if the two can be combined.

Ken
July 24th 2006, 02:36 AM
Besides, it would just be plain impractical to do so:
to hire a worse younger person over a better older person.

I don't think that it would be impractical to hire a "worse younger person" with growth potential in mind. When I was a waiter, I remember there was an older person I worked with who felt like she was being disrespected when she was being trained by people less than half her age. You have to be ready to start all over at the bottom of the food chain.

Mirza
August 3rd 2006, 08:39 AM
Is it to late to consder a career(40yrs) change. I have recently return to college and will be finishing an accounting degree in December, also, I am wondering if the two can be combined.

My father became an actuarial student in his late 40's. He was a math professor in bosnia, and when he arrived to US, he worked a lot of lousy jobs for a few years to support his family. He used to work in a file room filing medical charts. He was also an interpriter for a few years and then part time university professor.

He passed 5 exams and is finding it difficult to pass more due to language barier. Still he has been employed with the same company for 7 years now.

I have training in computer engineering, and I have decided to switch to actuarial profession. It took two years after I made a decision to switch to actually get a job.

I belive that you can become an actuary if you are willing to suffer trough several years of unemployment.