PDA

View Full Version : What is your motivation?

mreevit
July 19th 2006, 10:13 AM
Hello, I am an entry-level graduate with an exam already passed and I am interviewing.

Could anybody give me some reasons as to why one side of the profession is more appealing than the other?

The reason why I ask is that this question typically comes up in the interview process...which side would you like to work on? Rather than saying I am open to either side, I think it would be better to give them a reason depending on what type of service they do. So if a P&C company asked what side I would like to work on I could give them a reason why P&C is better than the other side and vice versa.

So far, I have been saying something like.. "I don't have enough professional experience to make that decision yet. At this time, I am looking to gain as much experience as possible in an actuarial setting, whether it be in P&C, Pensions, or Life & Health."

Thanks in advance...

maryland
July 19th 2006, 11:30 AM
I intern for a P&C company. A few actuaries have actually held jobs in life and say that P&C involves a lot more things to think about and is thus more challenging. There is, of course, a bias given that they are at a P&C company now. I think P&C pays more on average too.

As far as Pensions, I only know a few actuaries in this field. After talking to them, it seems somewhat interesting and most pension jobs I believe are in consulting so the pay is pretty high (as are the hours for some companies too).

I am curious to see other people's answers who know more about the subject.

Irish Blues
July 19th 2006, 12:02 PM
http://www.actuary.com/actuarial-discussion-forum/showthread.php?t=119

Only because I'm too lazy to type out a detailed response right now and I'm trying to figure out why two reports that should be the same aren't.