PDA

View Full Version : Brand new

eholladakid@aol.com
July 26th 2006, 06:09 PM
Hello everybody! I am sorta new to the site for please forgive my first post. I am a college student in northern california that does not have ab actuary program. I plan on taking my first exam in spring 2007 and wanted to knowif anyone could give advice to any of my questions:

1) Did any of you guys have mentors on your quest on becoming an actuary, and do you guys recommend any certain company to get one from?

2) What courses should I take? Is partial differential equations required on any of the exams?

3) Is economics still on the second exam?

4)Are there any mentors available in northern california?

Thanks for your help everybody!!!:D :) :D

wat
July 26th 2006, 07:00 PM
Hello everybody! I am sorta new to the site for please forgive my first post. I am a college student in northern california that does not have ab actuary program. I plan on taking my first exam in spring 2007 and wanted to knowif anyone could give advice to any of my questions:

1) Did any of you guys have mentors on your quest on becoming an actuary, and do you guys recommend any certain company to get one from?

2) What courses should I take? Is partial differential equations required on any of the exams?

3) Is economics still on the second exam?

4)Are there any mentors available in northern california?

Thanks for your help everybody!!!:D :) :D

Welcome to the board.

For question 2 - no, partial differential equations isn't explicitly (or even implicitly) on any of the actuarial exams. It might be good to know in practice, but I haven't found the need for it yet.

Question 3 - economics is no longer on the 2nd exam. It is currently a VEE (Validation by Educational Experience) topic, where if you've taken an intro-level/intermediate microeconomics class and macroeconomics class, you'll get credit for it. You don't need to take an exam to get credit for knowing economics, but taking an exam (through the CAS is an option).

And for Questions 1 & 4 - I've had no personal mentors, but feel free to browse the forum and ask questions - let us be your mentors.

eholladakid@aol.com
July 26th 2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks. Is there anything but Calculus based statistics on the first exam? I was just wandering because if this is the case I can take my first exam sooner.

ValFitzer
July 26th 2006, 07:32 PM
1) I have not had any mentors thus far. One of my teachers at UT is quite involved in the actuarial field though, but I've never talked to him very significantly on a one on one basis.

2) Courses you should take? For exam P, I'd say obviously calculus and probability. For FM, my college had it's own "theory of interest" class. I can reccommend a textbook to read to study for that exam if you are interested. (I attribute my passing grade to it).

Good Luck! :)

eholladakid@aol.com
July 27th 2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks for your help VAL-FITZ. I am trying to structure my college curriculum so I can start taking the exams as soon as possible. By any chance, how long was your statistics class? Was it one or two semesters? Quarters? Did the class thoroughly prepare you for what was on the exam?
Regards,
eholladakid

ValFitzer
July 28th 2006, 05:48 PM
At my school the course designed to help with the P exam was a probability course and it was one semester long. I'm not quite sure about if it has prepared me for exam P because I have yet to take the exam... I'll let you know after August 18th! Hope that helps! (from what I can tell on the syllabus, the course I took was a good basis for the exam, it's always good to practice with the sample exams to get a feel for the types of questions. they don't usually match the same feel as the textbook questions)