PDA

View Full Version : Exam M split into two exams

krzysio
July 28th 2006, 10:50 AM
I am not sure if this was noted at this forum, but the July SOA update on exams says that exam M will be split into two parts graded separately effective 2007. I had expressed doubts about this before, so I apologize about my doubts, maybe my doubts were just wishful thinking. Two exams. See the July 27 announcement at:
http://www.soa.org/ccm/content/?categoryID=3822071

Yours,
Krzys' Ostaszewski

Irish Blues
July 28th 2006, 11:15 AM
I'm through the first 4 exams so I won't have to worry about this, but I'm curious what you think about the whole redesign of 2-4.

As a side note to those interested, CAS 3 will change as well but it's going to remain a 4-hour exam.

ErikY
July 28th 2006, 11:40 AM
I am not sure if this was noted at this forum, but the July SOA update on exams says that exam M will be split into two parts graded separately effective 2007. I had expressed doubts about this before, so I apologize about my doubts, maybe my doubts were just wishful thinking. Two exams. See the July 27 announcement at:
http://www.soa.org/ccm/content/?categoryID=3822071

Yours,
Krzys' Ostaszewski

Just out of curiosity, why do you say wishful thinking as if you do not want them to split the exam into 2 parts? Do you fear it will become much easier?

maryland
July 28th 2006, 01:03 PM
''' I didn't know about this. I see that the life contingencies is one part. Does anyone know if CAS is still accepting Exam M for 3. Do you only need to pass the non-contingencies part? That would be pretty nice.

krzysio
July 28th 2006, 04:58 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do you say wishful thinking as if you do not want them to split the exam into 2 parts? Do you fear it will become much easier?

I direct an academic program in actuarial science. Every time SOA and CAS change exams, we have to change our classes. It takes two years to process all changes if you do this at a state university. I just would like to see some stability: fix the number of exams and then gradually evolve their content with the needs of the industry, development of regulation, and development of theoretical actuarial science. That's what I would like to see. Of course, this is wishful thinking.

Yours,
Krzys'

mreevit
July 28th 2006, 11:13 PM
Does anyone know if the CAS will still accept M for 3?

Greg1983
July 29th 2006, 12:23 AM
Has there been any change to the life ocntinginces portion or does the study guide put out by yourself still apply for the May 07 sitting?

ErikY
July 29th 2006, 06:49 AM
I direct an academic program in actuarial science. Every time SOA and CAS change exams, we have to change our classes. It takes two years to process all changes if you do this at a state university. I just would like to see some stability: fix the number of exams and then gradually evolve their content with the needs of the industry, development of regulation, and development of theoretical actuarial science. That's what I would like to see. Of course, this is wishful thinking.

Yours,
Krzys'

I understand. I can only imagine it must be very difficult for anyone teaching these classes. I started taking exams back when they were 100,110,150..... and I took 150 and 151 the last sitting they were offered, having to pass both of them to get credit for course 3. After getting a 5 on both of them, I then got a 5 twice on course 3 when it was first offered. I was so frustrated with the lack of quality study material, and the extremely low passing percentages (25%) that I stopped taking the exams for 5 years. I finally sat for M last sitting, and I was relieved to see study materials have dramatically improved. Unfortunately, I still only managed a 5, but I feel it was out of exam day rustiness, not lack of study material. I guess every time they change the exams, the study material will need to be re-developed which must be a huge task.

Anyway, I hope to pass M this sitting so I do not have to worry about the changes. I think anyone who passes M this sitting will have a good start to C, since it seems some of the loss models will be on C next sitting.

maryland
July 31st 2006, 05:48 PM
Does anyone know if the CAS will still accept M for 3?

I contacted CAS directly. There is currently a committee deciding this. He said they will not know until November. But they still decide to accept M, you will most likely still need both parts.

Big
August 16th 2006, 04:14 PM
I contacted CAS directly. There is currently a committee deciding this. He said they will not know until November. But they still decide to accept M, you will most likely still need both parts.

:confused: This isn't for certain? I could have sworn that when I went to the CAS website told they would give credit for CAS 3 if a person passed exam M. Then again I went there a few months ago so maybe the rules have changed. I hope not though