PDA

View Full Version : How hard is Exam P?

January 17th 2012, 09:52 AM
I want to know how hard is exam P.

I did some Actex practice exam. There are basically 3 levels.

I did quite well on the first and second level, around 25/30.

However, when I did the third level practice exams, I found that I can only do around 5 questions in one hour. Is the SOA P exam as hard as the third level practice exam of Actex?

If so, I am doomed...

I am going to sit for Exam P in May 2012 and I want to pass it. The exam fee is so expensive.

I really need your help. Thank a million.:)

bsd058
January 18th 2012, 12:03 PM
I want to know how hard is exam P.

I did some Actex practice exam. There are basically 3 levels.

I did quite well on the first and second level, around 25/30.

However, when I did the third level practice exams, I found that I can only do around 5 questions in one hour. Is the SOA P exam as hard as the third level practice exam of Actex?

If so, I am doomed...

I am going to sit for Exam P in May 2012 and I want to pass it. The exam fee is so expensive.

I really need your help. Thank a million.:)

I'm not sure because I haven't taken P yet, but from what I hear if you find the SOA questions online and can complete them, you should have an idea of the difficulty level of the exam. Someone else can note whether or not this is accurate.

http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/P-09-05ques.pdf

January 19th 2012, 05:38 AM
I'm not sure because I haven't taken P yet, but from what I hear if you find the SOA questions online and can complete them, you should have an idea of the difficulty level of the exam. Someone else can note whether or not this is accurate.

http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/P-09-05ques.pdf

Thank you.
=)

leex3683
January 30th 2012, 07:16 PM
Hey, I just passed exam P a few moments ago. I'm not sure how much about the exam I'm not suppose to discuss, so I won't say much, but the person who signed me out said that, including me, only 3 of 10 people passed the test that day. I'm familiar with the link guest posted... I'd recommend doing all of them. And then do a bunch of questions that Dr. Krzysztof Ostaszewski posted. (shout out to Dr. Krzysztof Ostaszewski). Get humble about your proficiency with probability and study more than you should. Good luck! It's hard, but when you finally pass it, you'll feel great.

January 31st 2012, 09:37 AM
Hey, I just passed exam P a few moments ago. I'm not sure how much about the exam I'm not suppose to discuss, so I won't say much, but the person who signed me out said that, including me, only 3 of 10 people passed the test that day. I'm familiar with the link guest posted... I'd recommend doing all of them. And then do a bunch of questions that Dr. Krzysztof Ostaszewski posted. (shout out to Dr. Krzysztof Ostaszewski). Get humble about your proficiency with probability and study more than you should. Good luck! It's hard, but when you finally pass it, you'll feel great.

Does exam p emphasize a lot of distributions like Gamma, Beta, Pareto, Weilbull and Chi-square? I have encountered some practice exams that emphasized a lot on these, which I am not so familiar with. But I am very familiar with exponential, normal and uniform distributions.

Are any formula sheets provided?

thank you

Actuareeee
January 31st 2012, 02:57 PM
No formula sheets are provided. You have access to the standard normal probability table and that's pretty much it.

The SOA syllabus lists the distributions that may appear. Knowing the exponential, normal, bivariate normal, uniform, binomial, Poisson, geometric, and negative binomial distributions is important. It is very unlikely that the gamma, beta, Pareto, Weibull, or chi-square distributions will show up on the exam. Knowing the hypergeometric and the multinomial can help a bit, but they are lower-priority distributions to know.

leex3683
February 3rd 2012, 07:04 PM
Yeah, what Actuareeee said. It won't be a waste of time, though. Working with more probability functions will help you understand them all better. And then you can impress your friends by showing them how to show that (1/2)! = sqrt(pi)/2 and stuff.

SIUnit
March 26th 2012, 09:45 PM
If you know exponential you kind of already half know gamma, so might as well take it the rest of the way.

Less likely to appear on exam =/= won't appear, you never know. A little extra work never hurts.