PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an Actuary With B.Sc in Computer Science

Khaled
August 20th 2006, 04:44 PM
Hey! I'm a 4th year computer science student and I'm planning to become an actuary after graduating. I did an internship as a programmer for a company, but I find programming a bit too dull for me.

I'm really into mathematics, probability and statistics, and its what I want to do as a career.

I've already done the P1 exam this Aug and hopefully I passed, and my plans are to take the FM exam this Nov and hopefully if I pass both P and FM take the M exam in Spring 2007. I'm also doing a thesis at my university that is based on creating a program that will calculate probabilities related to stock options and volatility. In addition I am taking courses like Calculus 1, 2 and 3 Probability and Statistics 1 and 2, Marketing and possibly Accounting.

With the degree mentioned above, say 2 or 3 of the exams mentioned above passed, courses and work at university and 3 years work experience in development is it enough to start a career in the Actuarial field next year after I graduate or do I still need to do more?

Does anyone know of similar actuaries that started off with a degree in computer science?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

FSA
August 20th 2006, 05:29 PM
With a comp sci degree and the exams you should generally be OK, as long as the intangibles (communication skills, etc.) don't drag you down.

If you look for a job in the US, you might try selling up your programming skills from the point of view of knowing how to document your work. That is an area that regulators are looking at more closely and an area in which actuaries have not typically excelled.

Khaled
August 20th 2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Is accounting really necessary to take as a course in university?
Will the hiring companies be concerned about me meeting the VEE Requirements on my own or will that just be part of the job package they usually offer?

ouminan
August 28th 2006, 01:55 AM
I was a C.S. major in college, and my girlfriend was a Business Economics major with an Accounting minor. When she went the way of the actuary, she asked if I wanted to tag along.

I interned at a Pension/Health benefits consulting firm during the last 2 years of my education. I passed two exams during that time and when I graduated, I was ready to go the path of the actuary.

I don't have any additional coursework or experience that would help me, although I was able to pass Exam 2 before the changes to the exam.

I got offers from several well-respected Life, Retirement and Casualty insurance companies and was ready to go the way of actuary until I got an offer from Microsoft.

So ... yes, actuaries can definitely come from C.S. majors. :) Good luck!