PDA

View Full Version : how many questions should we answer correctly?

jessie
May 23rd 2005, 03:07 PM
In order to pass the exam, how many questions should we answer correctly?

Karen
May 23rd 2005, 03:20 PM
krzysio told me that 70% passes with 99% probability which means that you have to get 21 out of 30.
-karen

bv12
May 23rd 2005, 03:26 PM
But this is a new test, without the calculus. We might have to get more correct than 70% to pass with 99% probability now.

Karen
May 23rd 2005, 03:39 PM
that was his prediction for the new test

wat
May 23rd 2005, 04:21 PM
But this is a new test, without the calculus. We might have to get more correct than 70% to pass with 99% probability now.

Doubtful.

I don't think there's ever been an actuarial exam (from the first 4, anyway) where 70% correct has not been enough to pass.

krzysio
May 23rd 2005, 11:28 PM
Unfortunately you never really have a guarantee of what a passing number is.
All I can tell you is that from observing actuarial exams and talking to my students taking them since 1991, I am utterly convinced that 70% passes. And I am slightly less convinced that 60% does not pass. The pass mark, as I see it, falls somewhere in between, based on the distribution of scores. But the decision on what the pass mark is comes separately for each exam, and so there is really no guarantee as to what you need to do.

I firmly believe that the best advice is to work very, very hard to get a score better than 70%.

Yours,
Krzys' Ostaszewski

Doubtful.

I don't think there's ever been an actuarial exam (from the first 4, anyway) where 70% correct has not been enough to pass.

AndrewH
May 26th 2005, 04:24 PM
Unfortunately you never really have a guarantee of what a passing number is.
All I can tell you is that from observing actuarial exams and talking to my students taking them since 1991, I am utterly convinced that 70% passes. And I am slightly less convinced that 60% does not pass. The pass mark, as I see it, falls somewhere in between, based on the distribution of scores. But the decision on what the pass mark is comes separately for each exam, and so there is really no guarantee as to what you need to do.

I firmly believe that the best advice is to work very, very hard to get a score better than 70%.

Yours,
Krzys' Ostaszewski

This exam was significantly easier than the old course 1 exam (in my humble opinion). Do you think 70% will still hold for this one? I sure do hope so because I know I had to have gotten 21 answers correct.

krzysio
May 27th 2005, 12:17 AM
Yes, I have heard everywhere that the exam was surprisingly easy. I agree that this makes things much more unpredictable. But I still think that 70%, or 21 correct answers, is very likely to be enough to pass. Of course this is just my opinion, derived by my "intelligence guided by experience."

Yours,
Krzys' Ostaszewski

This exam was significantly easier than the old course 1 exam (in my humble opinion). Do you think 70% will still hold for this one? I sure do hope so because I know I had to have gotten 21 answers correct.

FountainBlue
May 27th 2005, 09:55 AM
this one's gonna be close...