PDA

View Full Version : How to Network and/or approach a specific company

JamieS
September 7th 2006, 04:57 PM
I'm wondering how important it can be to network when looking for a job. I am looking for entry-level actuarial positions (have a math degree and am taking the p-exam this fall, but am working in an unrelated field now in which I'll have 4 years experience), and there is a company not far from here that I'm really impressed with and was wanting to approach. I was talking about this with a colleague of mine who said he knows the VP of the company really well and would be glad to help me out if that was appropriate.

So, my two questions are:

1.) How should I go about networking here in a way that is professional and beneficial to my finding employment?

2.) How does one go about approaching an actuarial department about potential job opportunities when there isn't a job specifically listed? (I'm not even sure they put actuarial positions on their web postings...I just don't know.) I'm looking to start next summer, as I am expecting a child in March and don't want to interview with the stipulation that I'll be needing time off for maternity leave not long after starting.

Any suggestions would be much welcomed. Thanks.

JamieS

Seldon
November 20th 2006, 12:28 AM
I am curious to hear an answer to your second question. I have read before that it is better to contact somebody in the actuarial department than somebody in Human Resources. I'm perfectly capable of finding the names and email addresses of actuaries within the companies I am looking at, but wouldn't an actuary be annoyed to receive emails from unknown jobseekers?

JamieS
November 21st 2006, 11:51 AM
Hopefully someone out there will respond, I'm still quite curious too.
Jamie

mreevit
November 21st 2006, 03:12 PM
Hopefully someone out there will respond, I'm still quite curious too.
Jamie

My job wasn't posted. I just called the actuarial department and asked if they have any openings. 2 weeks later I was at work.

It's best to call. Internet postings don't really get you anywhere(In my experience). Use the SOA list of training programs if you can find the place there. If not, call the principal (for consulting) or one of the FSA's that are listed in the SOA directory. If you're calling an insurance company ask FSA if they can refer you to the head of the student program or at least get the name.

What worked for me:

Call and touch base. Tell them you will email them a resume. Do it that same day. At the end of the call, request permission to call back one week later to follow up.

Sample speech:

My name is blah blah, I graduated from blah blah, I have X exams, I am interested in working for your company, are you currently interviewing candidates? can you refer me to the head of the student program?

If yes: Tell them you will email a resume immed. Thank them for their time and offer to follow up in 1 week.

If no: Tell them you will email a resume in case they have any future considerations. Thank them for your time. Ask if they have anyone that they can refer you to that may be hiring. Call back in 3 months of you're still looking.

Most people aren't annoyed when you call them. Call early in the morning (9:00 or earlier). This will get you the best results. If insurance, DO NOT CALL THE CHIEF ACTUARY! If it is consulting, it might be okay to call the principal depending on the office size.

luther
November 21st 2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks for sharing. That makes perfect sense. I am curious about what actuaries typically do in Enterprise Risk Management functions (I noticed that in your profile). Are you working in an insurer or a non-insurance financial insititution? Never mind if this is too personal.

JamieS
December 8th 2006, 02:10 PM
I also just emailed HR from the company I am hoping to work for eventually and asked if there was an actuary that I could speak with regarding some questions about the field, and that I was looking to go into actuary work in the near future. I had an actuary from the company email me back with his contact info, said he'd be glad to answer any questions I had, as well as refer me to colleagues he knew in other actuarial fields (he works in prop/cas) if I was interested. Very simple, we'll see where it goes.

Jamie

mreevit
December 8th 2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks for sharing. That makes perfect sense. I am curious about what actuaries typically do in Enterprise Risk Management functions (I noticed that in your profile). Are you working in an insurer or a non-insurance financial insititution? Never mind if this is too personal.

I work in insurance doing cash-flow testing and economic capital projects. Also, I work on experience studies (mort, lapse, etc, etc).