PDA

View Full Version : What are the interviewers usually act like?

ngdarr
September 20th 2006, 01:36 AM
What's the atmosphere like in an interview?

I mean, do they usually put up an angry, serious face to try to freak you out?

or do they usually try to be very friendly?

Would they try to ease you in, for instance chat about sth off topic at the beginning, and then once everyone gets comfortable, the interview will begin?

Thank you very much for your info.

Trojan_Horse
September 20th 2006, 06:28 PM
They're usually very nice and will begin with something like: "So, Fred, tell me about yourself." This is a popular question that many people get wrong. They do not want to know your personal history (which is what many people do). You should have a 2-3 minute response ready for this. Talk a little about why you want to be an actuary and discuss a few characteristics you believe you have that others may not. This will often lead into a series of questions from the interviewer and it will progress from there.

Good luck.

mreevit
September 20th 2006, 10:45 PM
For the most part, very friendly. You don't want to be working at an office where the interviewer screams at you. Tell me about yourself is a very important question to know the answer to, as noted above. Make sure you differentiate yourself from other candidates, emphasize that you can do the job well, and show that you want the job. Let them know your future goals as well.

In addition to this, make sure you understand behavior-based interviewing. Go to your university, if you can, and they should have some info for you.

Typically, these questions are similar to the following:

"Tell me about a time you demonstrated initiative..."

"Tell me about a time that you found it difficult to work with someone else..."

"Tell me about a recent challenge that you faced..."

The interviewer want to know YOUR role in all this. You should organize your answers with the acronym TAR or STAR:

Task
Action
Result

or

Situation/Task
Action
Result

ie... this is the problem, this is what i did, and this is how my actions added value to the project or organization....

That acronym is a very important one to know. Good luck!

ngdarr
September 20th 2006, 11:42 PM
They're usually very nice and will begin with something like: "So, Fred, tell me about yourself." This is a popular question that many people get wrong. They do not want to know your personal history (which is what many people do). You should have a 2-3 minute response ready for this. Talk a little about why you want to be an actuary and discuss a few characteristics you believe you have that others may not. This will often lead into a series of questions from the interviewer and it will progress from there.

Good luck.

Got it.
Thank you very much for your info

ngdarr
September 20th 2006, 11:43 PM
For the most part, very friendly. You don't want to be working at an office where the interviewer screams at you. Tell me about yourself is a very important question to know the answer to, as noted above. Make sure you differentiate yourself from other candidates, emphasize that you can do the job well, and show that you want the job. Let them know your future goals as well.

In addition to this, make sure you understand behavior-based interviewing. Go to your university, if you can, and they should have some info for you.

The interviewer want to know YOUR role in all this. You should organize your answers with the acronym TAR or STAR:

Task
Action
Result

or

Situation/Task
Action
Result

ie... this is the problem, this is what i did, and this is how my actions added value to the project or organization....

I see.
Thank you very much for your info

ngdarr
September 21st 2006, 12:24 AM

Task
Action
Result

or

Situation/Task
Action
Result

For all these kinds of questions, do I have to also think about how the way I resolve the solution reflect a certain kind of characteristics that would be valuable to the company?:Ouch: