PDA

View Full Version : Who's sitting for Fall 06?

PhillyP
October 8th 2006, 04:32 PM
Anyone else sitting for the exam on Nov 6th?

How's your progress?

gouri525
October 9th 2006, 12:26 PM
I'm taking it also. I have the Actex manual. Went through the manual once, doing it the second time now. Hope to finish doing it by Sunday. Then I'll start on the practice exams, I've scheduled time after every two or three practice exams to go over the material again, as I'm sure I'll find some weak areas. I'm having a hard time remembering all the formulae. Haven't come around to memorizing all of them yet. I bet I'll be doing that right after the first practice test!
How are you doing?

PhillyP
October 15th 2006, 10:52 AM
I went through Mahler's Guide once. I'm going back and doing all the past exam problems. I took a practice exam to gauge my progress and I determined that I am in trouble as of now. I plan on studying A LOT until the exam.

gouri525
October 24th 2006, 10:05 AM
PhillyP, how's the studying going? I started taking the practice exams and am in quite some trouble. I took two of them. On the first one, I scored 14, on the second, I scored 20. I need to revisit some of the material for sure - Simulation and properties of estimators. I've decided to not attempt any questions on splining and cox proportional hazards - just too much to remember! I'll only have time to attempt 30 questions (if I'm really fast) in the exam anyway, so I'll skip these two topics. I have 9 more practice exams to attempt and less than 2 weeks, not enough time!
Do you have a strategy for remembering the formulae? I'm finding it hard to memorize them all. Of course, doing problems over and over is supposed to help, but it didn't seem to work for me!
Good Luck and keep at it!

vtek
October 25th 2006, 11:40 AM
i'm also writing on the 6th. studying is going kind of lousy, the fact that i have less than 2 weeks to go hasn't hit me yet. i feel ok with the theory having taken all the preparatory courses in university, but i keep making awful ''''' ups on the problems and take way too much time, a problem i was having with exam 3. i don't think this one will be as difficult as 3, but there is enough material there to thwart any plans of finishing everything.

PhillyP
October 25th 2006, 03:30 PM
PhillyP, how's the studying going? I started taking the practice exams and am in quite some trouble. I took two of them. On the first one, I scored 14, on the second, I scored 20. I need to revisit some of the material for sure - Simulation and properties of estimators. I've decided to not attempt any questions on splining and cox proportional hazards - just too much to remember! I'll only have time to attempt 30 questions (if I'm really fast) in the exam anyway, so I'll skip these two topics. I have 9 more practice exams to attempt and less than 2 weeks, not enough time!
Do you have a strategy for remembering the formulae? I'm finding it hard to memorize them all. Of course, doing problems over and over is supposed to help, but it didn't seem to work for me!
Good Luck and keep at it!

Things are starting to come around. A little late, but nonetheless, I think I have a shot at passing. I took the Nov 05 exam and got a 23, which was the estimated passmark. Going back I found a few of the ones I missed to be fairly simple.

FYI, the spline questions on the May 05 and Nov 05 exams were fairly straightforward. I was avoiding splines myself but tried the problems and was able to get some of them. I think its worthwhile to spend time to atleast learn the basics. Simulation was one of the easiest topics for me. My problem has been with continuous bayes questions and a lot of the Buhlman problems give me trouble. Good luck with your studying

gouri525
November 3rd 2006, 11:16 AM
To all of you taking the Exam C on Monday, Good Luck! I have a couple more practice exams to take, I think I'm ready! Of course, I won't know if I was ready until the results are announced!