PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Interview

biggs85
October 18th 2006, 07:37 PM
What type of technical questions will they ask in the 2nd actuarial interview?

Irish Blues
October 19th 2006, 07:55 AM
Is it another phone screen or is it "we'll bring you in to interview face-to-face with a few people from our company" ?

hopefulkid
October 19th 2006, 12:55 PM
Hi,
I am a desperate housewife currently with 2 exams...I had a phone interview with one big company 1 month ago, I called the HR twice and he told me if they are interested they will call..told me to wait.
I sent a thank-you note to HR after phone scrren, are you supposed to do that? I feel ashamed to say this, but that mail had a spelling mistake...could this be the possible reason they are not calling me????
please respond...
is there anyone out there who had a long break in their career life before getting a job in actuarial field???
thanks for the replies!!

biggs85
October 19th 2006, 06:48 PM
they already completed an initial screening... the phone interview will cover quite a comprehensive range of topics coz i'm applying for a overseas position; I don't think there'll be a face-to-face interview, unless they want to see me so desperately they dispatch their consultants to Sydney... highly unikely

The meeting was not as technical as i expected, but at the start they grilled me continuously on my ability to use VBA and excel

the phone interview didn't go as smoothly as i thought... but in 2 hrs time they requested a third interview with the associate director... quite a shock, the company moved really quickly throughout the recruitment process

waiting for the call now... hoping for the best...

mreevit
October 20th 2006, 12:27 PM
Hi,
I am a desperate housewife currently with 2 exams...I had a phone interview with one big company 1 month ago, I called the HR twice and he told me if they are interested they will call..told me to wait.
I sent a thank-you note to HR after phone scrren, are you supposed to do that? I feel ashamed to say this, but that mail had a spelling mistake...could this be the possible reason they are not calling me????
please respond...
is there anyone out there who had a long break in their career life before getting a job in actuarial field???
thanks for the replies!!

I don't think so. If they liked you on the phone they would have called you. Of course this is assuming you made one very small spelling mistake. If you sent an email that looks like a 4-year-old wrote it, then they might toss your resume.

If they are not going to move forward with you they will usually send you a letter in the mail. But since you called, they would've told you then. My guess is that they are interested, but for some reason they aren't moving forward. A couple of examples why this is could be:

1. They are just REALLY busy.
2. They are "iffy" on you. They might want to bring other candidates that they liked better. If they don't work out, then they will call you.

etc, etc.

I just finished a job search with 1 exam. I am going to give you some advice. First of all, make sure your resume is up to par. Get it professionally written if necessary-or at least get a resume book. Secondly, You NEED to get prepared for your interview. You didn't say how you did this. I would recommend 101 answers to the toughest interview questions. Read and reread this book. I think this is what helped the most. Also make sure to express interest in the job, profession, company, and the field. Field is important. Learn what kind of business the company does and give reasons why you like it (P&C, Retirement, and so on...)

Let me know if I can answer any further questions.

Best of luck.

hopefulkid
October 21st 2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. The HR was telling me that my resume would be still with the actuarial team and they are still looking at the resumes to review candidates' exam progress and interest in actuarial field.
I believe my phone screen went pretty okay eventhough I was nervous for the first few seconds of the interview..HR sounded satisfied too.
I prepared for the interview well, used books, websites etc but there were only general questions like
-how you prepared for the soa exams
-how you manage to work with new people
etc.
Also he asked me which field(p/c or health/life) I would like to work with.
I told him I am open to the idea of working in both fields since I am new to actuarial.
I told this because of 3 reasons.
-There was no indication of the field in the given job descriptions
-The company has both fields almost equally big
-I don't have any experience in any field

later HR told me that it is p/c position.

The spelling mistake was silly.I hope it is forgivable.

The company posted the job again(this time both in p/c and health/life) in their website after one week of my interview.I don't know applying again will make any difference..
HR told me it is ok to appy again.
I am confused..