PDA

View Full Version : SOA vs. CAS Models Exam

Krieger
May 28th 2005, 11:08 PM
Since I'm done with joint exams 1 and 2 for the SOA and CAS, it's time to move on.
Is the SOA exam M the way to go because CAS will also grant credit for this exam under the current structure? And can anybody explain why the CAS exam doesn't earn credit for the SOA? It seems to me that the CAS one covers the same material.

FSA
May 28th 2005, 11:48 PM
Since I'm done with joint exams 1 and 2 for the SOA and CAS, it's time to move on.
Is the SOA exam M the way to go because CAS will also grant credit for this exam under the current structure? And can anybody explain why the CAS exam doesn't earn credit for the SOA? It seems to me that the CAS one covers the same material.

The CAS version isn't heavy enough on life contingencies for the likes of the SOA.

You could go for exam C/4, which is jointly recognized.

Krieger
May 29th 2005, 12:39 AM
It looks like SOA M and Joint 4 for me.

.Godspeed.
May 29th 2005, 06:22 PM
Krieger, I was toying with the notion of going for C and M, but have you already had any M coursework? I was just wondering since I haven't, and which materials are you going to use to prepare for them? Thanks.

Krieger
May 29th 2005, 08:09 PM
Krieger, I was toying with the notion of going for C and M, but have you already had any M coursework? I was just wondering since I haven't, and which materials are you going to use to prepare for them? Thanks.

I took a mathematical statistics course at Berkeley in the Fall of 2003. C and M looks like a a rehash of that class, but with applications. That shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm using all the texts mentioned in the C and M syllabi, i.e. Klugman, Bower, and Ross. The Actex manuals were helpful for P and FM, but since these upcoming two are more difficult, I'll probably get other manuals to supplement Actex.

ac87cor
June 10th 2005, 05:54 AM
is it best to take exam M then 4? or can you take 4 then M? thanks in advance

wat
June 10th 2005, 01:46 PM
is it best to take exam M then 4? or can you take 4 then M? thanks in advance

C before M is okay, but C builds off of the material in M. Plus, there's no real incentive to take C first anymore. Course 4, once upon a time, had VEEs attached to it. Now it doesn't. Any reason why you'd want to take C first?

ac87cor
June 11th 2005, 12:29 PM
well, since C is jointly administered by SOA and CAS, i guess it would be better for those who haven't found a career direction to take C before M.

azaremba
June 13th 2005, 11:28 AM
You can take M and get credit for CAS 3, but not vice versa. So therefore you can stay in order and still have the third exam covered for SOA and CAS if you pass M. Some people also take both CAS 3 and then M the week later if they are in the P&C side. This gives them 2 chances to pass.

This idea takes away from the notion of taking 4/C only because it is jointly administered.