PDA

View Full Version : skills development

z.q
November 2nd 2006, 09:53 PM
hi guys, first time here on this forum!

just some background info on me:

im a student in actuarial studies (or actuarial science as you guys call it) studying in australia, still doing part 1 exams and have a part time job at a large insurance company as a junior, helping with valuations and reconciling calculations manually, amongst other things like helping with market research etc...

-----

anyway, i have been thinking of looking into my career options and 'developing' my skills / resume over the vacation break, especially my skills in using ms excel

my questions are:

1. could anyone tell me particular things in excel i should consider practicing / learning? and to what extent? eg: what particular things should i be able to do with macros

2. any other programs i should consider learning? eg: ms access etc... and again, what kind of things i should be able to do?

3. any recommended books for learning these programs? not so much from the very basics (eg: how to write a formula) but more specifically aimed at using financial examples like creating DCF's etc...

any replies will be much appreciated

and i hope this thread helps me and a lot of other students out there who will be looking into the job market sometime in the near future with (hopefully) some impressive set of skills which other graduates might not have mastered!

mreevit
November 3rd 2006, 01:27 PM
Everything about excel and a lot of access. Learn VBA.

1. Using Excel 2003 (Patrick Blattner)
2. Mastering Microsoft Access 2003 (Alison Balter)
3. Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA (John Walkenbach)
4. Excel 2003 Formulas. (John Walkenbach)

Read #1 if possible. Everything else is recommended and not required as you will absorb most of the excel skills and access you need on your job. It would be great to have a knowledge of excel and access as deep as the first 2 books.

z.q
November 4th 2006, 01:21 AM
thanks mreevit, much appreciated!

how about SAS, any recommended books?