PDA

View Full Version : Which study manual?

Krieger
June 12th 2005, 07:08 PM
I'm thinking of ACTEX or ASM? Any thoughts on these two?

.Godspeed.
June 13th 2005, 12:52 AM
Don't know about either, but I just started using Mahler about a week ago, and I feel like it's quite adequately force-feeding me what I need to know. He gets right down to business and doesn't waste any time. It looks like a hot mess, with almost eighty stapled packets, but using it in addition to Loss Models has definitely made things MUCH more clear (or at least clear, since I've never seen most of this).

aced
June 14th 2005, 08:51 AM
Don't know about either, but I just started using Mahler about a week ago, and I feel like it's quite adequately force-feeding me what I need to know.

I started the Mahler notes about a week or so ago as well. I'm trying to write C (first sitting) and M (second sitting) in November. The Mahler notes so far are amazing. For me, it's like being in a classroom with a great teacher - one who shows you all the tricks for remembering formulas and methods for solving a problem and gives you a lot of confidence in the material.

I also bought the ASM manual, but after reading the first few pages I got bored and felt that there were too many blanks that I couldn't fill in on my own.

On the plus side, the typesetting for ASM is marvelous. Mahler's notes have weaker typesetting and a few grammatical mistakes that naturally comes when you write over 2000 pages of notes.

Krieger
June 15th 2005, 12:11 AM
Where can I get these Mahler notes?

.Godspeed.
June 15th 2005, 12:32 AM
http://www.neas-seminars.com/Misc/

They're unfortunately $285; the only reason I even have them in my possession is because I'm at an internship and a co-worker is, blessedly so, letting me borrow them for the summer. However, if money is not an issue, I really think these break it down and would be quite a help. Plus, Mahler used to be heavily involved in the CAS exam writing process, so he knows how to make good questions. He'll give you tons of problems, and then put real past exam questions that were asked; and, with some work, you're able to solve them--it's really quite refreshing. But maybe you should ask people who have actually taken the test . . . all I know is that the guy who is letting me borrow them thinks he didn't pass last sitting just because he got so busy with work and didn't do enough problems from the manual.

If you have any more questions, I would be happy to answer them.

wat
June 15th 2005, 01:12 AM
Where can I get these Mahler notes?

I have the Spring 2004 Mahler Notes if you'd like them.

It didn't cover the old econometrics that used to be on Course 4, so there's no problem there. This manual, though, won't have the new material on cubic splines and the simulation material from the old Course 3.

Other than that, it should be pretty comprehensive. It's still about 1500 pages long.

Krieger
June 22nd 2005, 01:27 AM
How much do you want in exchange for these spring 04 notes?

wat
June 22nd 2005, 02:02 PM
How much do you want in exchange for these spring 04 notes?

Please check your PM.