PDA

View Full Version : First in person interview!

Thomas H
January 6th 2007, 08:05 PM
I'm so happy! Next Tuesday, January 9, I've got my first in person interview.

It's taken a few months and I was getting discouraged, but now things are looking up a bit. If I don't get a job offer out of this, at least it will be good experience at what actually takes place during an in person interview.

Trojan_Horse
January 8th 2007, 12:56 PM
Congrats! Good luck.

Denny Crane
January 10th 2007, 11:43 AM
I'm so happy! Next Tuesday, January 9, I've got my first in person interview.

It's taken a few months and I was getting discouraged, but now things are looking up a bit. If I don't get a job offer out of this, at least it will be good experience at what actually takes place during an in person interview.

How did it go??????

Thomas H
January 10th 2007, 06:45 PM
How did it go??????

I think it went well. However, I've read a lot of posts on various boards where the applicant thinks the interview went well but they don't get an offer out of it.

I will say that it went longer than I thought it would. I thought I would have about an hour meeting with one person, but it ended up going for three hours and I met with six people in total.

I just dropped out of a Ph.D. program in applied math and one concern that they mentioned multiple times was that I may not realize that during day-to-day activities I won't be using the higher math that I learned.

They said they would let me know within a month if they wanted to offer me a position.

Denny Crane
January 10th 2007, 09:45 PM
Be sure to write thank you notes to the people you would be most involved with or the big decision makers. Make it letter perfect. Tell them that you are very interested in their opportunity, and that you feel that the work you discussed is in line with your long term goals, and that you feel your background is well suited to being a success doing the work they have in mind for you. You might mention that you realize that you must do less analytical work for an extended period of time in order to learn the business and that meets with your expectations as you are committed to the cause....or something like that. You might even call the person in a week or so that was most active in the process just to communicated how interested you are. If they are interviewing a number of people, you want to keep yourself in their thoughts...without being overbearing or obnoxious.

Good Luck!

Thomas H
January 12th 2007, 10:55 AM
Yes, I wrote 6 thank you letters and mailed them to their office yesterday. I tried to make each letter unique and tie each one to the interview discussions we had.

I did explain that I understood I would need to start at the bottom and learn the basics about the job before taking on more difficult projects.

WannaB
February 14th 2007, 04:36 PM
Did you get the job?

Thomas H
February 18th 2007, 01:16 PM
Did you get the job?

I wish that I had. I was told that I would be informed by Febuary 1 in either case that I would or would not receive an offer. I sent them an email on Friday the 2nd and did not receive a response. I then called them on Monday the 5th and asked why I had not been contacted. I was told that they are extremely busy right now and have not had time yet to discuss the interview candidates. I do not think they will offer me a job. I think they would have already done so if they felt I was a good fit for them.

Ken
February 19th 2007, 01:15 AM
You could also be a borderline candidate. Give the candidates that were better than you some time to decide whether they're taking their offers.