PDA

View Full Version : Exam MLC syllabus texts

jason_t
January 15th 2007, 09:02 AM
I'm looking for any insight and opinions for the two references listed on the SOA MLC syllabus. The two listed references are

Actuarial Mathematics (Second Edition), 1997, by Bowers, N.L., Gerber, H.U., Hickman, J.C., Jones, D.A. and Nesbitt, C.J.

and

Models for Quantifying Risk (Second Edition), 2006, by Cunningham, R., Herzog, T. and London, R.L.

Any comments regarding difficulty of text and exercises, quality of exposition and exercises, etc. would be appreciated.

PFloyd'sAct
May 13th 2009, 08:36 PM
I entered this thread with the same question. No one has responded in 2 1/2 years so I'm not optimistic. But if anyone knows a reason to use one text over another it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

cmichener
May 13th 2009, 09:02 PM
I've had trouble locating the syllabus for MLC. Could anyone post the link to it? Thanks!

athie86
May 15th 2009, 09:17 PM
Hi. I highly recommend using Actuarial Mathematics by Bowers et. al. I've used it for all my actuarial courses in college and it has been of great help. It explains very clearly and deeply every aspect of basic life actuarial science (and even some advanced themes). I used it to study for MLC exam and I felt very confident in it, though I still don't know my result haha.

I don't know the other book, but at least in the actuarial community in Mexico, the Actuarial Mathematics is like a bible to us.

PFloyd'sAct
May 17th 2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the insight :-D

I've attached a copy of Spring '09 syllabus for Exam M, though you can find it at SOA.org

asher
May 19th 2009, 01:52 PM
I just purchased Models for Quantifying Risk and gave it a quick look. The text seems to be extremely lucid and forthcoming, and the solutions manual looks pretty good as well. Now, note that I have not done much studying from it but the first impression is good.

I chose MQL over Bowers' text because I read that Bowers' is difficult to read compared to MQL, though I've never picked up Bowers.

Hope this helps!

asher
May 21st 2009, 09:08 PM
MQR, not MQL. Sorry!