PDA

View Full Version : Career changer success stories?

llim80
January 30th 2007, 01:18 AM
Is there anyone here that did not take the normal career track to become an actuary? I am trying to switch over from software development and have just passed one exam. I also plan to sit for the 2nd exam this May and am confident I'll pass. I've been applying for weeks to as many entry level jobs and internships as I can, but I haven't heard a thing from anyone. I've been working in software for a couple years, so I know how to write a good coverletter and resume.

However, I am guessing I'm up against students who went to school for this and have passed more than one exam. I also got a call from a recruiter who told me not to even bother unless I've passed two. What's your experience on this? Any career changers have any luck with just one exam passed or do you really need two to break into this field? I realize this question has probably been beaten to death, but I'm just wondering what the career changer should do instead of the traditional applicant.

WannaB
January 30th 2007, 08:20 AM
I'm interested in this as well. How hard is it to get into if you don't start there?

allegenza
January 30th 2007, 09:41 PM
hi! i have a degree in astrophysics and i have been working for the past few years since graduating as a chemical engineer. i have recently passed exam P and i have three interviews lined up over the next couple of weeks. so, although i don't consider myself to be "there" until i gain employment...it is safe to say that there is interest for someone like me and like you. i'll let you know how my interviews go.

llim80
January 31st 2007, 02:42 AM
I recently passed the first exam as well. And I am going to take the 2nd one very soon. I am extremely determined to get into this field. Just out of curiosity, are your interviews scheduled in the city you live in? I noticed you live in NJ. I'm just asking because I live on the west coast and there are hardly any insurance companies here. So I thought companies might be reluctant to interview someone that they'll have to fly in. Well good luck to us, that is definitely promising news. Thanks!

allegenza
January 31st 2007, 06:25 PM
yes, i am in new jersey. currently, i am trying for work right here in NJ. if i don't get these interviews then i will start looking in NYC where there are probably even more opportunities.

Trojan_Horse
February 1st 2007, 11:42 AM
I was a software trainer for several years and decided to switch careers a few years ago. I landed a great job almost two years ago with only one exam passed and love the work. I work with lots of actuaries that started in other careers. If you have good communication skills you should be able to get a job with only one exam passed.

Good luck.

llim80
February 2nd 2007, 01:45 AM
I redid my coverletter and resume. Looks way sharper now. If I can't get in with the first exam then onto the 2nd! Thanks everyone. Good luck to the career changers!