PDA

View Full Version : How's your job hunting going?

sundwarf
June 22nd 2005, 08:28 AM
The actuarial job market looks a bit better than last year. So do have guys have problems landing entry level positions?

Ken
June 22nd 2005, 02:28 PM
I know that the past three years people graduating from my university have had no problems landing entry level jobs.

cadgret
June 29th 2005, 09:17 AM
I have not yet find a job after I graduated from University at April, i am so fraustrated. I live in Canada, 4 exam passed, no actuarial work experience. i am going to move to US, and am not sure where I should go in US?

Ken
June 29th 2005, 11:56 AM
You might consider looking for a job before you move if you're moving because you can't find a job. Maybe consider NY, CT, and Chicago?

LRK
June 29th 2005, 12:10 PM
How easy is it to move around the country and find jobs within this profession? I am changing careers (I have been working as a CPA for the past 5 years and plan on maintaining my CPA license) to actuary (take the first two exams this fall). My husband is military, which translates into moving every 2-4 years for the next 15 years. Is this a career stopper?

wat
June 29th 2005, 01:57 PM
How easy is it to move around the country and find jobs within this profession? I am changing careers (I have been working as a CPA for the past 5 years and plan on maintaining my CPA license) to actuary (take the first two exams this fall). My husband is military, which translates into moving every 2-4 years for the next 15 years. Is this a career stopper?

It's possible. It depends on the type of company. I wouldn't apply to many small insurance/consulting companies. The small companies are looking for longevity - it's not economically feasible for them to spend time and resources training students and having them pick up shop and leave in a short time frame. It will be hard to pick up requisite experience if you're perceived to move quickly.

Good luck with your job search.

falabsy
July 3rd 2005, 01:30 PM
The actuarial job market looks a bit better than last year. So do have guys have problems landing entry level positions?
I had no luck finding an entry level job for the past two months

Krieger
July 3rd 2005, 05:30 PM
How many exams have you passed?
I'm worried that success on P and FM will not be enough to get me a job this summer.

Ken
July 3rd 2005, 06:12 PM
This probably isn't that helpful but I see a banner at the top for PacifiCare that says, "Immediate Actuarial Opportunities! - Entry Level to Director Level - click here." Give it a try.

charles2002chen
July 15th 2005, 04:25 PM
I think it is really hard to get an entry in Canada. It seems situation in Canada is quite different with in US.