PDA

View Full Version : Actuary Virgin - Please be gentle!

BigDude1978
March 7th 2007, 12:58 AM
Hi Gang,

I'm thinking about making a career change and since I have always had a love of numbers the actuary field looks like a possible destination.
I'm from Canada but currently working in Japan. I haven't done any serious math in 7-8 years but believe with a little bit of time and the proper guidance I will be able to crush these exams.

Having said that, you are the people that I be looking to for that guidance; hence any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am about to embark on my quest for Exam P and would appreciate any suggestions for texts or materials keeping in mind my extended absence from serious mathematics and academia.

Cheers,
The Dude

rucer
March 8th 2007, 09:20 PM
Hi. Be easy, the math at least in the starting is not so difficult as we thought. A normal text of Probability is enough, I mean the text I have seen in China, and I think the text in other country must be similar ones. The book I used is a study mannul by actex, I think it is quite enough to pass the exam P, in fact, I think it is over the level of the exam.

Cepheid
March 8th 2007, 10:53 PM
You can find plenty of threads about manuals and textbooks (and opinions) specifically for the first exam, so I'll leave that alone.

However, for additional materials, if you've been away from serious math for a while, review your calculus. I know Actex has a calc review manual, and I find the Schaum's outline books to be useful. I also just keep a calc book near me at all times while studying if I need to check something real quick.

Exponential and logarithmic functions are used extensively, so know those cold (differentiation and integration). Other than the basic sin and cos functions, I skipped reviewing the other trig functions because I have never seen a problem on them. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure somebody will correct me. I also skipped things I know won't be tested, like polar coordinates, volumes of solids given cross-sections, hyperbolic functions, etc.

Make sure you know how to do multiple integrals and how to graph inequalities, as these are crucial for joint density problems. A review of geometric and infinite series would be wise, too. And definitely know integration by parts.

I last took a calc class 10-11 years ago, but I retained a lot, so I did not have to spend much time reviewing calc. You will have to gauge for yourself how much review you need.