PDA

View Full Version : Help! How to Start - 2 years out of college

amichie
July 15th 2005, 04:33 PM
Wondering if I can get some on advice on where to start with these exams. I studied actuarial science in college (graduated two years ago) but took a different path out of college..

Is it best to start with Exam 1 (P)? I would rather have more time and study for Exam 2 in November, I am just unsure as to whether 2 builds off the thorough understanding of Probability. I've had a foundation of these classes, so it will be a matter of relearning, maybe auditing and a few of the classes again.

Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

wat
July 15th 2005, 05:06 PM
Wondering if I can get some on advice on where to start with these exams. I studied actuarial science in college (graduated two years ago) but took a different path out of college..

Is it best to start with Exam 1 (P)? I would rather have more time and study for Exam 2 in November, I am just unsure as to whether 2 builds off the thorough understanding of Probability. I've had a foundation of these classes, so it will be a matter of relearning, maybe auditing and a few of the classes again.

Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

Exam 2/FM does not build upon probability. It is strictly interest theory (discounting, annuities and the like). Give 2 a shot. Try studying for it and see how it goes for you.

Willbethere
July 21st 2005, 08:26 PM
Exam 2/FM uses only some calculus. Since calculus has been removed from Exam 1/P, 2/FM doesn't build on 1/P at all. So it doesn't matter which one you take first. But you'd better finish 1/P and 2/FM before proceeding to 3/M, because 3/M does need the knowledge of 1/P and 2/FM. Spring 2/FM is way too easy. I don't know if SOA will keep the same pass % for Fall exam.

Ken
July 22nd 2005, 12:50 AM
Exam 2/FM uses only some calculus. Since calculus has been removed from Exam 1/P, 2/FM doesn't build on 1/P at all. So it doesn't matter which one you take first. But you'd better finish 1/P and 2/FM before proceeding to 3/M, because 3/M does need the knowledge of 1/P and 2/FM. Spring 2/FM is way too easy. I don't know if SOA will keep the same pass % for Fall exam.

I remember FM exam having no calculus at all. They could put some complex immunization but isn't that the only thing requiring calculus?

.Godspeed.
July 22nd 2005, 01:55 AM
I remember FM exam having no calculus at all. They could put some complex immunization but isn't that the only thing requiring calculus?

Some duration calculations could involve differentiation.

Willbethere
July 22nd 2005, 11:54 AM
Some questions related to force od interest calculations does require integration.