PDA

View Full Version : What makes being actuary good besides $?

MaybeYesMaybeNo
July 16th 2005, 10:50 AM
Actuary is the #2 best job in America. I know actuary is well paid relatively. However, what makes it good other than this? What makes it be the most satisfaction career? If actuary is based on calculation, will computer eventually replace actuaries?

Krieger
July 16th 2005, 05:10 PM
I saw that list too, but I doubt biologist is better than being an actuary. For me, I think the best thing about the profession is that you can earn an exorbitant salary with only an undergraduate degree, something doctors and lawyers can't brag about.

managuense
July 16th 2005, 07:08 PM
It has little to do with salary and more to do with having the opportunity to solve technical problems with meaningful and important results. Job security is second to none as well.

JaZon827
July 16th 2005, 08:02 PM
whoa, slow down. job security is amazingly good, but doctors have the best job security...they are always in demand

managuense
July 16th 2005, 11:29 PM
I would be hard pressed to say anybody has more job security than an FSA with 10+ years of experience.

brianritchie
July 19th 2005, 01:04 AM
True that.. though one must keep in mind that the Actuarial market is getting pretty densed and one can only remain in demand only if one continues to work hard and shoot for the best..e.g All 9 exams passed, and so on and so forth..

TheFlyer
May 22nd 2006, 05:34 AM
Actuary is the #2 best job in America. I know actuary is well paid relatively. However, what makes it good other than this? What makes it be the most satisfaction career? If actuary is based on calculation, will computer eventually replace actuaries?

Hmm.... dont know enough about the field (at all really) to answer the computer question but I if it were possible; well then I guess actuaries will have to grab the computer programing manuals....
computers need to be programed by someone... unless someone invented AI and didnt tell me... ;)

Laura

djerry81
May 22nd 2006, 07:35 AM
I thought it was all about the money.....well I do like being a know-it-all

Sphinx
June 13th 2006, 11:04 PM
I can understand why actuaries were ranked as the #2 job in America.

1. The hours are nothing like a lawyer or doctor.

2. You don't need to go to school for 10-15 years, even though exams are required to advance in the actuary field, you can stop after taking the first 2 or 3 and be happy making 60k the rest of your life.

3. It takes a very intelligent person to be an actuary, much like lawyers and doctors, so the same level of respect is there. PLUS, the number of lawyers and doctors FAR exceeds the number of actuaries, so there is more of a...commodity amongst the actuary profession making the jobs all that more esteemable.

4. The career path is well defined by the exams you pass or fail.

5. There is no blood, no stress of defending a murderer, no stress of killing or saving a life...the type of work is enjoyed by actuaries, so as far as the stress level goes, I just can't see it being that bad (aside from studying and passing exams).

6. My favorite reason, you can go anywhere. You can influence anything and anyone. Actuaries influence so much of the economy that you just have to enjoy knowing that you are ACTUALLY making a difference with your job. An actuary is not a paper pusher, not a telemarketer, not a fast-food worker. Any person pursuing this career must love numbers, otherwise you wouldn't pursue it. And, not only do you get to number-crunch all day, you get to come up with ideas that will better the company and actually get to enforce them.

This is what influenced me to become an actuary and after reading all the testimonies of other actuaries on other sites, I honestly can't wait to finish college to get started.

djerry81
June 14th 2006, 12:44 PM
being a biologist is a pretty cool thing if you like asking the why and how questions in life science matters.......i worked in a lab and I liked learning the stuff but I was more into math than biology.....and it would take forever to get to the level of my mentors.....and I wanted to make money now

Irish Blues
June 15th 2006, 08:52 AM
;) The chicks. Chicks dig actuaries.

Denny Crane
June 15th 2006, 10:27 AM
;) The chicks. Chicks dig actuaries.

LOL...Thanks, I needed that.

funmatiks
June 26th 2006, 08:45 AM
I beleive the satisfaction in actuarial science is the fact that u r actively involved in ur job . Decisions r mathematically based, so ur expertise is being utilised. For say the biologist, chemist etc. they'll have to wait for years before getting the oppertunity to apply knowledge in their respective feilds- in other words they have to be mentored for a long time before they get the chance to work independently.
Love of mathematics is basis upon which i chose this carear path. Actuaries are engineers of sort-so we use mathematics to model and solve complex problems that the average joe would be at a lost to. Thisis the best carear blv it

monkey2003
October 18th 2006, 08:20 PM

Where is everyone seeing that actuaries are ranked #2 in american? can you please give me the link? thanks

Trojan_Horse
October 19th 2006, 07:25 AM
http://www.beanactuary.org/about/best_job.cfm

feral
June 21st 2007, 10:53 AM
Question:

I know beginning Actuaries's salaries in the North are very high, but I intend to stay in the South. All I ever see on websites is the North salary statistics. What are the salaries like in the South I wonder? Does anyone know? Let's say I started in a job after college with 2 years of internship and 2 exams under my belt? :Shocked:

JMO Fan
June 21st 2007, 12:07 PM
Question:

I know beginning Actuaries's salaries in the North are very high, but I intend to stay in the South. All I ever see on websites is the North salary statistics. What are the salaries like in the South I wonder? Does anyone know? Let's say I started in a job after college with 2 years of internship and 2 exams under my belt? :Shocked:
Try this: http://www.dwsimpson.com/salary.html