PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Jaktu
June 7th 2007, 02:27 PM
I just graduated in May with a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering (minor in Mathematics). I'll be going to Georgia Tech in Fall 07 to get my MS in Mechanical Engineering. I planned to devote this summer to studying (and working out) and accidentally stumbled on actuary.com. I find being an actuary very interesting, so I don't know whether I will continue as a Mechanical Engineer or switch to being an actuary. To keep my options open, I ordered Ross's probability book and will study to take the first exam in August, but I won't give up my MS. Maybe after I get my MS I'll try to get a job as an actuary and then decide which one I like better. Any advice from someone who's been in the same situation before will be greatly appreciated :).

A few of my thoughts about being an Actuary (please correct me if I'm wrong):

1. It's much easier and more structured to advance as an Actuary than an Engineer.

2. Once I get my MS (and pass 1-2 exams), I will be able to get an entry level job as an Actuary.

3. The salary for the previous job will be around 50k, but I will be able to move up fast. This will be a tough decision since I'm pretty sure I can get an Engineering job with my MS that pays 60k-70k.

4. There's less competition among Actuaries compared to Engineers.

5. It's much easier to move to management as an Actuary (which I really like).

I am still undecided about whether I should go the SOA or CAS track, but that's not urgent. I am interested in finance, but from what I read I think both SOA and CAS deal with finance.