PDA

View Full Version : Cera

binky_4me
June 12th 2007, 03:07 PM
has anyone else read/heard about the cera designation? i just got thru reading a little something from the future actuary site. they made it sound brand new but then it stated there are currently 37 people with this designation. i think it sounds awesome, even though there wasn't a lot of description. but i saw the words "risk analyst" and that was enough for me. it almost appears to be an easier route for asa: only 1 vee, 1 part exam m...but then you have to take 2 fsa courses. still, seems worth it because you'd be an asa and a cera. does anyone else have any more info on this? anybody out there an cera already? plus, do you think this might look good to companies? all thoughts welcome.

funmatiks
June 12th 2007, 03:37 PM
hey, i have no idea what 'cera' is-where can i find the info. you've read. I would love to read.

wat
June 12th 2007, 06:48 PM
Here's a link to the Fact Sheet for the CERA designation: http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/edu-red-cera-flyer.pdf

Essentially, the CERA designation is the SOA's response to the corporate world that demands risk management (in light of a few notable failures in recent past). It's supposed to be similar to a PRM/FRM designation, but the SOA is still in discussion about the recognition of the designation with other risk management societies, etc.

Yes, you only have to take MFE (and not MLC), and you are exempted from one of the VEE topics, but you will have to take an FSA module and an FSA exam.

While the FSA module appears not to be that difficult to complete, the FSA exam is another story. The FSA exam you'll have to complete is 6 1/2 hours long, and it is all written answer. No part of it is multiple choice. I believe the syllabus for the ERM exam that you have to write had approximately 2,400 pages of reading, give or take a few hundred pages. It will be a difficult process to study for and take the test, but your knowledge of risk assessment after the exercise will be quite extensive.

Ken
June 12th 2007, 10:01 PM
It's worthless until employers recognize it as having value. If someone had a business card that said, CERA, and they typed it into Google, they would wonder why you're part of the Cambridge Energy Research Associates or Citizens Equal Rights Alliance.

wat
June 12th 2007, 10:06 PM
It's worthless until employers recognize it as having value. If someone had a business card that said, CERA, and they typed it into Google, they would wonder why you're part of the Cambridge Energy Research Associates or Citizens Equal Rights Alliance.

Imagine telling someone that you're an active participant of FAP at work and having them Google that.

Ken
June 13th 2007, 07:45 AM
I've always thought that was a poor choice of an acronym. Almost like if your school actuarial club is called the Actuarial Students Society.

binky_4me
June 13th 2007, 08:29 AM
i really appreciate everyone's comments on the topic, especially the fact sheet. i had feeling that fsa part would be something serious since the requirements list is shorter. in the future actuary article on the topic, they mentioned one could use asa and/or cera, so that's an advantage i see: it's a 2 for 1 deal. at least i have more information and thoughts on it. :smiloe:

freewill
August 9th 2007, 09:07 AM
Is the CERA credential awarded by SOA alone or jointly by SOA and CAS?

Trojan_Horse
August 9th 2007, 02:58 PM
Check out http://www.ceranalyst.org/