PDA

View Full Version : Question...please help

laura_smile
August 16th 2005, 11:23 AM
I am currently an actuarial science major of junior status and I am wondering if things in my background could prohibit me from being hired as an actuary. Specifically 10 years ago I was convicted of a felony drug possesion and last year I filed bankruptcy (My job was eliminated due to company take over and bills piled up while I was trying to stay in school). Will these things bar me from employment or can hard work, good GPA (currently 4.0) and high exams scores override this??? Please give me your opinion I really want some feedback. Thanks.

Ken
August 16th 2005, 01:11 PM
You shouldn't bring up being convicted of a felony or your bankruptcy, but you shouldn't lie about it when/if brought up. I don't think that these will rule you out of a job if you have good explanations. I wouldn't stress high exam scores because it could make you sound cocky. The information that you passed should be enough. Be ambitious and don't give up even if the first 10 companies you interview with turn you down.

wat
August 16th 2005, 04:59 PM
I am currently an actuarial science major of junior status and I am wondering if things in my background could prohibit me from being hired as an actuary. Specifically 10 years ago I was convicted of a felony drug possesion and last year I filed bankruptcy (My job was eliminated due to company take over and bills piled up while I was trying to stay in school). Will these things bar me from employment or can hard work, good GPA (currently 4.0) and high exams scores override this??? Please give me your opinion I really want some feedback. Thanks.

You will have to explain yourself with the felony possession. Well, maybe not explain yourself, but expect that it will be uncovered. Prior to hiring me, my company did do a criminal background check through an independent organization. Also understand that actuaries do play a role in managing finances/money, so the bankruptcy may not be a good thing. Nevertheless, keep the faith and try for a position. Similar to what Ken said, I wouldn't bring it up as a conversational topic, but under any circumstance, do NOT try and hide the facts. State them, and try and give some sort of explanation why (For the bankruptcy, I'd recommend you doing this. For the drug possession, it's a little more touchy - probably should emphasize that you haven't been involved with it since, if that's true).