PDA

View Full Version : A Canadian

Alice2005
October 6th 2005, 10:27 AM
Hi there. I'm a Canadian citizen, looking for an entry level actuarial position. I've got a degree in Math, and a good GPA, no exams, and no internships. (my school didn't offer any)

I've been looking around online, and it seems that a lot of USA companies are willing to hire no exams, no experience people, I've seen quite a few positions available that only require a degree. Haven't seen many Canadian companies willing to have no exams no experience students.

As my understanding goes, to work in the US, I'd have to get a work visa, that the company will have to issue me.

My question is, are American companies willing to go through the trouble of issuing a visa to an entry level no exams no experience Canadian?

Mathguy36
October 6th 2005, 12:22 PM
To the best of my knowledge, most companies that are looking for entry level actuarial students/analysts do not sponsor. The first questions asked is usually "How many exams have you passed?" followed by "Do you require sponsorship?" I'm not telling you that it is impossible to find an entry level position when answering zero and yes, but it is very unlikely that they will even continue with the phone interview after learning of your requirements and lack of exams. Of course there may be exceptions, but my experience has been that you cannot get a phone interview without at least 1 exam and most companies will not sponsor for entry level. I recommend contacting a couple of recruiters in the U.S. to discuss your options.

Ken
October 7th 2005, 08:14 PM
There are definately companies that sponsor working visas for entry-level positions, but your qualifications better be damn good.

admin
October 7th 2005, 08:29 PM
You might research coming in under NAFTA...North American Free Trade Agreement. I seem to recall some actuaries coming in under that but I'm not sure.

Quint
October 8th 2005, 05:38 PM
To the best of my knowledge, most companies that are looking for entry level actuarial students/analysts do not sponsor. The first questions asked is usually "How many exams have you passed?" followed by "Do you require sponsorship?" I'm not telling you that it is impossible to find an entry level position when answering zero and yes, but it is very unlikely that they will even continue with the phone interview after learning of your requirements and lack of exams. Of course there may be exceptions, but my experience has been that you cannot get a phone interview without at least 1 exam and most companies will not sponsor for entry level. I recommend contacting a couple of recruiters in the U.S. to discuss your options.

I'll second this. Getting even an interview without an exam will likely be an endeavor in itself.

Alice2005
October 12th 2005, 10:16 AM
NAFTA? interesting, I hadn't thought of that.

Thank you everyone for your help

Alice

Pyramid20
October 28th 2005, 12:59 PM
Allice,

I am a Canuck working in the States,. I had the same problem as you had. I graduated with an actuarial science degree and had trouble finding a job in Canada. So I decided to look for job South of the border. I had no internship, no exam passed however I had work experience in non-actuarial fields. Those previous work experiences provided me with good coputer skills and good communication skills. I got hired on by an insurance company and been here for the last 3 years.

The problem regarding, visa and sponsorship shouldn't be a problem. I am working under TN Visa. TN is basically a working visa issued to Canadians and Mexicans under NAFTA. That is anyone who holds a professionsl degree are allowed to work in the States and Mexico and vice versa. The TN Visa is renewable on a yearly basis and it's a temporary visa issued on the basis of no intention of immigration to US. However, you can renew as long as your company is willing to keep you. There are other choices as well..like H1B and so on. But it costs money for companies so I would stick with TN. It costs only like $60.00 to get it ever year.

You should be able to explain to a company if they don't have any knowlede about how the visa system works. Otherwise, they will assume that they have to sponsor you and most of them won't go through that trouble unless you have some exceptionally well qualification.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Thanks,