PDA

View Full Version : Share the pain.

Ken
November 1st 2005, 01:06 AM
Am I the only person here suffering the pain next week?

Mathguy36
November 1st 2005, 05:27 PM
No, you are not the only one taking M next week. I will be sitting for it on tuesday as well as 3-4000 others. This will be my first attempt. There's a lot of material to digest in only 4 months. I've taken actuarial math I and II so the life contigencies portion of the exam was a review. I never took loss models so that was all new. Fortunately, while it will make up 40-45% of the exam, if I can get half of them correct and most of life con correct, I should have a fighting chance of passing. As for being nervous, if you've spent enough time preparing (300-400 hours) and can answer most of the practice/prior exam problems in 4 hours, you should pass. I've been told that this is the hardest of the preliminary exams to pass and many students require multiple attempts. That's of little consolation for me for I am still looking for my first actuarial job and paying $375 per attempt can quickly add up.

Best of luck to all of us next week. I hope we all pass this exam and move on to exam C/4. AT this point, you either know the material or you don't. The last month should be spent on practice exams and not learning new material.

Once again, good luck to all of us next week.

Ken
November 1st 2005, 11:57 PM
Best of luck to all of us next week. I hope we all pass this exam and move on to exam C/4. AT this point, you either know the material or you don't. The last month should be spent on practice exams and not learning new material.

Once again, good luck to all of us next week.

Sounds like I'm '''''ed.

faramir
November 2nd 2005, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't say I'm '''''ed. I look at it this way. You never know how things will work out, so work hard and don't worry about it. I thought I had no chance at passing FM last sitting, then it turned out to be easy as actuarial exams go.:) I'm not saying M will be easy, but we may get lucky and the questions asked are on the topics we know best. I'm a firm believer that having a negative attitude just sets you up for failure. I hope I pass this time, but I won't act as if the world ended if I don't.

If it's one thing I've learned lately is that as important as exams are, and as hard as we need to work at studying for them, there are more important things out there. For me, one of those things is taking my daughter to the park while we still have some nice weather before winter hits us full force. Of course once she goes to bed at night I hit the practice problems hard core. Anyway that's my 2 cents. Thanks for reading my ramble.

Here's to us all being able to watch more football after Nov 8th!!!!:D

novrain
November 12th 2005, 12:50 PM
You never know how things will work out, so work hard and don't worry about it.

sounds good ... exactly what i need to do. :(