PDA

View Full Version : VEE of choice

mcgruff
June 10th 2008, 09:52 PM
I passed P back in February and am '''''''' my fingers that I passed FM (although I'm feeling quite optimistic that I did). Assuming I find out that I indeed passed the second exam, I'll be on the job market. But in any case, I'm also thinking about VEE. I got 5's in micro and macro AP back in high school, so that should take care of econ. But I'll have to take care of the other two, since my degree is in mechanical engineering and I took no VEE-fulfilling courses in college. What do you all suggest? Obviously, I'd like to learn something in the process, I'd like to not spend too much money, and I'd like to not waste too much time on stupid stuff. So, all things considered, what's the way to knock out the finance and statistics VEEs?

BTW, I don't consider these high priority, but nevertheless, I might as well at least think about how I'm going to get them done.

makros5
June 10th 2008, 10:01 PM
What I heard is if you are a student at university, it is easier to take a course from the university, if it is approved by university. VEE exam is also not that hard offered by SOA but you definately have to spend the money.

I passed P back in February and am '''''''' my fingers that I passed FM (although I'm feeling quite optimistic that I did). Assuming I find out that I indeed passed the second exam, I'll be on the job market. But in any case, I'm also thinking about VEE. I got 5's in micro and macro AP back in high school, so that should take care of econ. But I'll have to take care of the other two, since my degree is in mechanical engineering and I took no VEE-fulfilling courses in college. What do you all suggest? Obviously, I'd like to learn something in the process, I'd like to not spend too much money, and I'd like to not waste too much time on stupid stuff. So, all things considered, what's the way to knock out the finance and statistics VEEs?

BTW, I don't consider these high priority, but nevertheless, I might as well at least think about how I'm going to get them done.

chicken_po_boy
June 11th 2008, 10:43 PM

McGruff -

I am in a similar situation. Had no VEE-courses in college to cover CF or Statistics. (My Micro and Macro college courses are from so long ago, they are not on the "approved" list so I may need to take these over again as well).

I think both NEAS and Actex offer all the courses for VEE credit. I don't know much about the Actex courses, but I took the NEAS CF course between exams P and FM. I found the NEAS course was very flexible and also very reasonably priced ($295 + textbook). Roughly speaking, I put in about 1/3 the time for the CF course that I did for FM.

As you have not taken MFE yet... I'd suggest taking the CF course first. Some of the material overlaps FM (which you've already taken)... but some of the material also appears to overlap with MFE (put call parity, binomial trees, Black-Scholes, etc). I am told the statistics courses can help with understanding exam C material better, so it would be a good idea to complete these course before you sit for C.

I'm trying to knock off a VEE course in-between each preliminary exam. My planned order is: P, VEE-CF, FM (completed)... then VEE-Regression, MFE, VEE-Time Series, MLC, VEE-Micro, C, VEE-Macro.

I understand your feelings about not giving these VEE courses high priority. However, you will need them if you want ASA or ACAS status. It would be a good idea to knock off some of these VEE requirements now, rather than later. Exams MLC and C are supposed to be pretty difficult and time consuming. If you can get your VEE requirements out of the way now, you will not be distracted by trying to make time for them later.