PDA

View Full Version : Which Exam First - P or FM

KristiNJ
June 25th 2008, 10:08 AM
Hi everyone, I am new to the board and posed this question in my intro but decided to throw it out here as well. I was a math major in college but never got around to taking the exams, so here I am 15 years later doing a career change. I've been lurking for a while and understand that P and FM are the first two exams and don't really build on each other. My plan right now is to take P in November 08, FM in May 09, and then continue on. However, another post led me to think about taking FM in November, then P in Feb 09 (since it's the only exam offered more than twice a year) and then #3 is in May 09. This approach would put me ahead of schedule by six months.

My question is, does it make sense to try the accelerated schedule? Or should I slow down, focus on getting P and M under my belt, and take it from there? Because I've been out of school for so long I'm planning on studying at least 300 hours for P; will FM require as much studying if I sit for it first? Any advice you guys can give me is appreciated.

dmbfan41
June 25th 2008, 10:53 AM
i honestly think it will be very difficult to sit for an exam in February after you just sat for one in November.

be honest with yourself. do you really think you can put in all of that work in such a short amount of time? (especially with the holidays in between those exams). if your plan is 300 hours for P, that's 100 hours a month. can you study 3 hours a day, every day, for 3 months? it seems that you've been away from math for awhile, and you absolutely must know your stuff to pass these exams. if you need refreshing for calculus, then 3 months just won't be enough time to study for P.

i personally advise against it. take P in Nov and FM in May (or vice versa).

(/iropracy
June 26th 2008, 09:11 AM
i honestly think it will be very difficult to sit for an exam in February after you just sat for one in November.

be honest with yourself. do you really think you can put in all of that work in such a short amount of time? (especially with the holidays in between those exams). if your plan is 300 hours for P, that's 100 hours a month. can you study 3 hours a day, every day, for 3 months? it seems that you've been away from math for awhile, and you absolutely must know your stuff to pass these exams. if you need refreshing for calculus, then 3 months just won't be enough time to study for P.

i personally advise against it. take P in Nov and FM in May (or vice versa).

I agree completely

KristiNJ
June 26th 2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I think you're both right. Studying for P during the holidays is not really appealing. Plus, if I take P in November and fail, I can take it again in Feb. I'm going to stick with the original plan of P in Nov and (hopefully) FM in May.