PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice anyone?

sabbathmailer
July 21st 2008, 09:34 PM
has anyone used Openoffice to create and edit spreadsheets ,word docs , access file?

What features does OO has and MS doesnt?

Also I Beleive in OO since its free to distribute unlike MS Office which is proprietary...

Irish Blues
July 22nd 2008, 08:43 AM
OO does not have all of the bells and whistles that Office has - but for 98% of what people do, it's just fine. Generally, everything in OO is in Office - but not vice versa [though admittedly, I have not dug into the bowels of OO].

I will use it at home, but then save everything in an Office format since the vast majority of people use Excel and in case I need to take a file to/from work. Considering Microsoft is pushing Office 2007 [which along with Vista is a huge piece of '''' IMO because it's so user-unfriendly], if/when support for Office 2003 stops I can see myself switching to OO entirely.

PDRater.com
August 14th 2008, 12:19 PM
I started using OpenOffice about a year and half ago when Dell lost my laptop and replaced it with a new machine running Vista. Since Vista is essentially incompatible with MS Office 2003, I was faced with purching a new copy of Office or looking to an alternative. This is about when I stumbled across OpenOffice.

I've been using OO ever since then and haven't looked back. As an attorney I use it for everything from legal documents to correspondence and spreadsheets. I would highly recommend OO to anyone who has ever thought about paying for MS Office.

I think that anyone who uses MSOffice would have a very easy time switching to OpenOffice. You will have to get used to some of the quirks of the program - where all the functions and shortcuts are - but that's a pretty easy process.

I hope that helps!

L13Andy
August 28th 2008, 04:28 PM
has anyone used Openoffice to create and edit spreadsheets ,word docs , access file?

What features does OO has and MS doesnt?

Also I Beleive in OO since its free to distribute unlike MS Office which is proprietary...
Open Office is definitely an excellent program. I use OO Writer and just change it to MS word format. OO MAth is also very good for creating equations. The syntax is designed so you can actually write the words out just the way you would say it. For example: you can type "log a over b" and it will create the equation. My only slight problem is with writing macros in OO. Other than that I am go to go.