PDA

View Full Version : When should a person take the EA's?

Mikel_85
July 24th 2008, 05:52 AM
Could you kindly help me with this matter? is it important or is it only for certain fields such as pension? thank you very much

wat
July 24th 2008, 04:53 PM
Could you kindly help me with this matter? is it important or is it only for certain fields such as pension? thank you very much

The EA exams are only important to pension actuaries - if you work in other lines of business, like Life or Health Insurance, you will not need to take EA exams.

The EA exams basically cover pension-related topics, like regulations, laws and funding principles that generally only pension people need to be familiar with. If you enroll in the FAP modules, you'll get a taste of pension funding principles in one of the middle modules (Module 4? I'm not sure - I didn't participate in the module).

NoMoreExams
July 24th 2008, 04:57 PM
The EA exams are only important to pension actuaries - if you work in other lines of business, like Life or Health Insurance, you will not need to take EA exams.

The EA exams basically cover pension-related topics, like regulations, laws and funding principles that generally only pension people need to be familiar with. If you enroll in the FAP modules, you'll get a taste of pension funding principles in one of the middle modules (Module 4? I'm not sure - I didn't participate in the module).

Don't you also get credit for EA-1 or whichever the first one is if you pass 1-3?

wat
July 24th 2008, 05:00 PM
Don't you also get credit for EA-1 or whichever the first one is if you pass 1-3?

You do. I think the requirement is only related to FM and MLC, I think. In the previous systems, you would get credit for EA-1 by passing Courses 2 & 3, which dealt with time-value of money & life contingencies.

Mikel_85
July 25th 2008, 04:33 AM
thanks for the info...