PDA

View Full Version : Kellison or Broverman

pssethi303
November 14th 2005, 10:19 PM
Guys I was wondering which of the two text books is better. My friend has the Kellison and she says it is good but I dont have anyone who has gone thru the second one. I would like to get a second opinion.

crayolaab
November 15th 2005, 04:33 PM
I have both - and used both. There are pros and cons to both. Personally I preferred Kellison - it is an older book and that is very obvious when reading it. It is not very wordy - things are explained succinctly with a few examples, but still explained clearly. There are not as many problems but the ones there are are good.

Broverman I honestly did not get as much out of content-wise, but felt the problems were better. I struggled to get information out of this book, I felt a lot of important information was hidden inside example problems, which I don't like. There are a tonne of problems though and they seem pretty consistent with SOA-type questions.

One thing I LOVED about Kellison is the appendix which defines every symbol used in the book - it was really useful to me, because I get confused between symbols easily. I also felt it went into a bit more depth about the material itself. However, I'm not sure you NEED that much depth - and Broverman seems to present it in a way that is more in line with SOA type questions.

All in all, I'm glad I had both - but equally glad I only got the solutions manual for Broverman. What I ended up doing, for the most part, was reading & taking notes on Kellison, then reading the equivalent sections in Broverman (The Actex manual does an outline and matches up the relevant sections) and doing problems from Broverman. I did some problems from Kellison when I got tired of Broverman.

So - sorry that is not helpful in pinpointing one over the other! Kellison reminds me very much of some of the old, dry textbooks I used in my upper-level physics courses; Broverman reminded me of basic, easy-to-read texts from my intro humanities courses :-x They both seem to cover the material reasonably well and as long as you have a good review manual and lots of practice problems you should be fine with just one.

PhillyP
November 15th 2005, 07:20 PM
I learned everything from ASM (cherry) study manual. I had kellison available, but i never really needed to look at it. I highly recommend this guide.

pssethi303
November 15th 2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks Crayolaab! I think you just helped me take a decision. I believe Kellison will do the trick for me. I would ofcourse look up other books and exam archives for more practice problems.

roy14
November 16th 2005, 01:09 AM
I just hope that someone would find time to edit / revise Kellison's book. Reading it really makes me feel sleepy.

crayolaab
November 16th 2005, 02:13 PM
I just hope that someone would find time to edit / revise Kellison's book. Reading it really makes me feel sleepy.

See, I am used to books like this (mostly in my physics courses) - so I actually prefer it :)