PDA

View Full Version : entry level position

bad4183
November 15th 2005, 04:38 PM
I graduated last Spring with a Mathematics major with a pretty good GPA (3.75). I recently passed the P/1 exam with a score of 10, but I don't have any actuarial experience, and I know that's big when trying to land a job. To those of you who have went through this before, should I concentrate on the second exam already, or do I have a realistic shot at landing an entry level position? I know people post questions like this all the time, so sorry if you've answered it before, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Trojan_Horse
November 15th 2005, 04:56 PM
You have a very realistic chance; you should also prepare to take exam FM though. You have the basics but what will get you the job is first your resume and then your interviewing skills. Make sure your resume is flawless and printed on quality paper. Practice interviewing now; make a list of questions and know your answers. Prepare about a 30 second pitch to sell yourself because the first interview will very very likely be over the phone. Now go get the job - scour insurance company HR websites for openings, search the job sites, call local companies, and be persistent.

Good Luck!

bad4183
November 15th 2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback. I've been wondering about the interviews...what kind of questions do they ask besides, "What makes you want to be an actuary"...and from your personal experience, what do you think companies like to hear?

Once again, thanks a ton for your help.

Ken
November 15th 2005, 07:44 PM
Read the sticky.