Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what after FM?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    I could have sworn MLC was accepted by both, and 3C or whatever was only on one side...

Actuary.com - Level V Poster sohpmalvin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greeneggs View Post
    I could have sworn MLC was accepted by both, and 3C or whatever was only on one side...
    3L from CAS is recognized by CAS alone; MLC is recognized by both SOA and CAS.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Shouldn't it be mfe/mlc after the fm since mfe+mlc is considered as 1 exam passed?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster Akki's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khushboo View Post
    I need some advise here as I am completely clueless...I guess after FM Exam 3 is different for both SOA and CAS (or not bcoz i think i read somewhere that there will be a common Exam 3 in 2008)...I dont know what field I want to pursue life or casualty....thus dont knw which exam to take..how much difference does it make...can i switch later....thanks for your help...
    If you are in India or want to work in India then I have a suggestion that might be useful to you.
    ADVERSITY CAUSE SOME MEN TO BREAK,
    OTHERS TO BREAK RECORDS.:coolman:

They say that for the syllabus for November 2009 they will be moving material from Exam C to Exam MFE, so it pays to take MFE in May rather than in November.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster ycxiang's Avatar
    is the workload for C and MLC the same?

Actuary.com - Level III Poster Puoya's Avatar
    The CAS will give you credit for MLC=3L, but the SOA will not accept 3L. MFE and 3F are jointly sponsored.
    "As far as I'm concerned, I prefer silent vice to ostentatious virtue." Albert Einstein
    "It is hard to tell if a man is telling the truth when you know you would lie if you were in his place." H. L. Mencken

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MeiyiChen View Post
    Shouldn't it be mfe/mlc after the fm since mfe+mlc is considered as 1 exam passed?
    Some consider the two as one exam. However, it's a lot of work to study for and pass both in one sitting. MFE is probably the next logical choice, especially for the Spring 2009 sitting. The length of the exam is going to increase to 2.5 hours (from the current 2 hours) in Fall 2009. Thus the Spring 2009 sitting will be the last chance to take this exam as a 19- or 20-question, 2-hour exam.

I suggest taking them in the following order, once you've passed P and FM
    1. MFE
    2. MLC (also gives you credit for 3L, so if you haven't committed to SOA or CAS yet, you don't have to possibly re-take a similar but different prelim)
    3. C

Quote Originally Posted by Tal View Post
    oh boy,they only throw this exam twice a year?
    All actuarial exams are administrated twice a year (Spring/Fall)

The only exception to this is the CBT tests.

Currently this only applies to P/1... FM/2 reportedly will begin to be offered more sometime next year.

By the way... can we get this tread stickied somewhere... this question (what comes after FM) is asked WAAYYY too often
    Last edited by scott; November 23rd 2008 at 07:36 PM.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    All actuarial exams are administrated twice a year (Spring/Fall)

The only exception to this is the CBT tests.

Currently this only applies to P/1... FM/2 reportedly will begin to be offered more sometime next year.

By the way... can we get this tread stickied somewhere... this question (what comes after FM) is asked WAAYYY too often
    Mostly true but...Try again What you say is true for MLC, MFE, and C and probably modules (not sure what their schedule is). The SOA CSP and DP are only offered once a year. Not sure about CAS ones.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information