Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exam P Question

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Dr.O,

The current problem im facing is financially. I am from Malaysia and i just got the Guo recently, so getting the ASM is taxing with the exchange rate and shipping cost. I want to be prepared well for the exam. So is there any other suggestions that you can help me with?

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_85 View Post
    Dr.O,

The current problem im facing is financially. I am from Malaysia and i just got the Guo recently, so getting the ASM is taxing with the exchange rate and shipping cost. I want to be prepared well for the exam. So is there any other suggestions that you can help me with?
    If money is an issue, I suggest this: go to the soa web site and find the FREE soa 134 problems. If you exaust youself with just Guo and soa 134, you will do well. FYI, I've seen recent copies of ASM, Actex, BPP, McGannon, and Ramanathan (sp); EVERY:madguy: single soa :shocked:124 (before they added the most recent 10), I mean ALL soa 124 problems have been repeated in some or all of the manuals. And also, FYI, many of the manuals repeat other past exams too. :skeptical: Oh, before I forget, go to actuarialoutpost.com, they have a few more practice exam link there too. If you really want to spend money, I highly recommend the book "Prob for Risk Management" by Hassett, it's in the syllabus. The manuals basically go like this: Maybe 50 to 100 pages of actual "teaching" material, after that, it's a ship load of problems. One has to gleen through all the ship to decide what's worth studying. So my final advice is to stick with Guo (it has a great "search" feature too) and go through the soa 134 (skip the trig) and visit actuarialoutpost and find there links. If you buy anything, buy that book I mentioned, it's very cheap. I'm done. :goofy:

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Also, the soa does give consideration to those in poor countries. I've read some posts were the soa discounted the exam for test takers abroad in poor countries. They may have scholarships too. Send them a note, it's worth a shot.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Thanks edt..anyway, i've downloaded soa 137 as well, so if i continue with Guo and Soa 137 i guess i should be prepared enough? I've also bookmarked a few links with problems on P1. i did send SOA an email, but its only discount for exams not study materials and etc. Thanks once again...

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Just finished CAS P1 sample problems.

You can find them at http://www.casact.org/admissions/stu...ampleExam1.pdf

Out of the 40 problems, 17 are either calculus or financial model related.
    Some trigs too.

Very fruitful experience.

Author, Instuctor and Seminar Provider krzysio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leerobb1966 View Post
    You can find them at http://www.casact.org/admissions/stu...ampleExam1.pdf

Out of the 40 problems, 17 are either calculus or financial model related.
    Some trigs too.

Very fruitful experience.
    This sample is for Course 1, which ended in 2004. Only its probability problems may be applicable to Course P/1, which started in 2005.
    Yours,
    Krzys'
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information