Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Thread: Calculator issue.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

Unhappy Calculator issue.

Hi,I come a couple of problems espesially on the normal distribution tha require on to use the nomal tabes but some questions have large standardized values which can only be obtained using the ti83 plus calculator which also leaves me at a fix as i use the ba2 plus .Should i change to the ti83 or are there other tables with more standard deviations from the mean.This confuses me even more at time am close to sitting for my first exam.Exam p.
    Need some help.

rahim
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizoo22 View Post
    Hi,I come a couple of problems espesially on the normal distribution tha require on to use the nomal tabes but some questions have large standardized values which can only be obtained using the ti83 plus calculator which also leaves me at a fix as i use the ba2 plus .Should i change to the ti83 or are there other tables with more standard deviations from the mean.This confuses me even more at time am close to sitting for my first exam.Exam p.
    Need some help.
    i think ba2 plus(TI) is for the FM exam coz i hav that two ... its not related to P .. for P u can by T1-83 .. em solving P and i dont think that calculator is needed coz Z tables are given for every possible value .

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Save yourself some trouble, print the soa's normal dist. table. It's what you use during the exam, so just get used to using it for your studies. When (not if) you get practice problems that give you information not on the soa's chart, I'd disregard, imo. The soa's chart is in the study notes for P1 at their web site www.soa.org.

Do not use your ti83. You can't use it during the exam so you will want to get used to the calculators you ARE allowed to use.

Here are the calculators allowed (from beanactuary.com):
    BA-35
    BA II Plus
    BA II Plus Professional
    TI-30Xa
    TI-30X II (IIS solar or IIB battery)
    TI-30XS MultiView (or XB battery)

rahim
    i hav BA II plus but i cant understand that how it helps in probability ... there are no distribution functions in dat... wat we can do in it is only the normal calculation like plus minus etc ....

Super Moderator
    Guess you'll just have to memorize a few values or learn to use the provided tables.

Quote Originally Posted by rahim View Post
    i hav BA II plus but i cant understand that how it helps in probability ... there are no distribution functions in dat... wat we can do in it is only the normal calculation like plus minus etc ....

I think thats the point. The calculator isn't there to do everything for you, only to do the basic mathematical functions. You have to show that you are able to do all the math involved, not that you know how to use a calculator.

Of course, thats really a whole other issue. If you ask me, I think any calculator should be allowed. In reality, how often is an actuary going to have to work out any of this by hand? I guess I can understand both sides, but the fact of the matter is you have to learn it the way they want you to. No way around it.

Thread Information