Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Thread: Old Study Note for Exam FM - still applicable?

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Old Study Note for Exam FM - still applicable?

Hi everyone,

I just dug up some Exam FM study material from years ago when I was first looking into the actuarial profession. In it I found a Course 2 Study Note - with a section called Macroeconomics by Paul Wachtel. This is dated 2-21-00 at the bottom and says Copyright 1997. I"m sure this material is important to know, but is it applicable to what Exam FM now covers?

Thanks.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JCholet View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just dug up some Exam FM study material from years ago when I was first looking into the actuarial profession. In it I found a Course 2 Study Note - with a section called Macroeconomics by Paul Wachtel. This is dated 2-21-00 at the bottom and says Copyright 1997. I"m sure this material is important to know, but is it applicable to what Exam FM now covers?

Thanks.
    Nope that hellish study note is no longer useful to FM. It MIGHT be useful for VEE - Macroecon but there are a million better ways to learn macroecon.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreExams View Post
    Nope that hellish study note is no longer useful to FM. It MIGHT be useful for VEE - Macroecon but there are a million better ways to learn macroecon.
    Thanks. I did take a macro course, and I have the text somewhere. I have the impression that FM isn't the test it was in 2002, but I am not sure exactly how it has changed. I have the recommended books on Interest Theory and Derivatives, but I have not seen anything about plain economics except in this old study material.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JCholet View Post
    Thanks. I did take a macro course, and I have the text somewhere. I have the impression that FM isn't the test it was in 2002, but I am not sure exactly how it has changed. I have the recommended books on Interest Theory and Derivatives, but I have not seen anything about plain economics except in this old study material.
    In 2002 it wasn't FM, it was called course 2 (and it still is on CAS side I guess). It used to cover Macro and Micro Econs, Finance and Theory of Interest. When they went to FM, Macro, Micro and Finance were moved to VEE and all that was left was Theory of Interest. Then a few sittings later they added the few topics from Derivative Markets. Likewise on course 4/C (which had other changes as well), Linear Regression and Time Series were taken off and moved to VEE (though I believe some Linear Regression topics are still tested on CAS 3L). It can be confusing but just read the current syllabus and you should be fine.

Thread Information