Sponsored Ads
D.W. Simpson
Worldwide Actuarial Recruitment
Life Health Pension Casualty US Asia Australia Europe Salary Apply
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Exam P Study Guides

  1. #1
    Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    13

    Exam P Study Guides

    Hello everyone,

    I am planning on taking Exam P in May of '09. I have studied Wackerly's "Mathematical Statistics with Applications" textbook so far for my preparation for this exam, and now I am currently looking into purchasing one or more (probably more) comprehensive Exam P study guides.

    I was wondering if anyone could please list the most popular Exam P study guides. In addition, if you could please give your opinion on which of the study guides listed you preferred, briefly explaining why this is the case.

    Please let me know if there is a certain method you would suggest in approaching these study guides (or even studying for this Exam P, in general).

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    ~Chris

  2. #2
    Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I am planning on taking Exam P in May of '09. I have studied Wackerly's "Mathematical Statistics with Applications" textbook so far for my preparation for this exam, and now I am currently looking into purchasing one or more (probably more) comprehensive Exam P study guides.

    I was wondering if anyone could please list the most popular Exam P study guides. In addition, if you could please give your opinion on which of the study guides listed you preferred, briefly explaining why this is the case.

    Please let me know if there is a certain method you would suggest in approaching these study guides (or even studying for this Exam P, in general).

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    ~Chris


    I used that same book for my stats class this past semester and did all of the soa problems online. I am going to be sitting for it in march. If you are able to do all of those problems online you should be fine, this is coming from people who have taken the exam in the past. Have you taken a calc based stats class before or are you just self studying? If you are teaching yourself all the concepts from that stats book i would suggest getting a manual. Maybe actex or asm

    Heres the link to the soa problems and solutions
    http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/edu-2008-spring-p-sols.pdf
    http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/edu-2008-spring-p-ques.pdf

  3. #3
    Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    154
    There is a free study guide for Exam P online and it's pretty good.

  4. #4
    Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopin-Lover View Post
    There is a free study guide for Exam P online and it's pretty good.
    Do you think you can post the link so i could take a look at it

  5. #5
    Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    154

  6. #6
    Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    97
    The free one doesn't explain how to do "exam-level" problems very well. I got so frustrated trying to do SOA sample problems for binomial last week, I shelled out $85 for Guo's at the actuarial bookstore. I saw it recommended on Amazon from someone who had them all. Its fantastic so far.

  7. #7
    Author, Instuctor and Seminar Provider krzysio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I am planning on taking Exam P in May of '09. I have studied Wackerly's "Mathematical Statistics with Applications" textbook so far for my preparation for this exam, and now I am currently looking into purchasing one or more (probably more) comprehensive Exam P study guides.

    I was wondering if anyone could please list the most popular Exam P study guides. In addition, if you could please give your opinion on which of the study guides listed you preferred, briefly explaining why this is the case.

    Please let me know if there is a certain method you would suggest in approaching these study guides (or even studying for this Exam P, in general).

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    ~Chris
    I am the author of the ASM Manual and post free weekly practice problems at this forum, so that you can see what you can expect. The publisher, ASN, at their site has links to more free samples. The "Been There Done That" manual.

    Yours sincerely,
    Krzys' Ostaszewski
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

  8. #8
    Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    97
    Not getting one is terrible advice. There are also many ways to bench press 400 lbs. But not one of them involves solely training on a bowflex that tops out at 300. Krysio figures if he can train me to bench 450 then I can put up 400. I will probably buy his just for the many practice exams included. His latter practice exams go beyond the difficulty of exam p problems. Here's a conjecture for you: Guo's manual+ Dr. O's practice exams = pass. Did this not hold for anyone?

  9. #9
    Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by dliving View Post
    Not getting one is terrible advice. There are also many ways to bench press 400 lbs. But not one of them involves solely training on a bowflex that tops out at 300. Krysio figures if he can train me to bench 450 then I can put up 400. I will probably buy his just for the many practice exams included. His latter practice exams go beyond the difficulty of exam p problems. Here's a conjecture for you: Guo's manual+ Dr. O's practice exams = pass. Did this not hold for anyone?
    I just have to comment on your bench press analogy. :smiloe: I don't do much bench press anymore since tearing my right pectoralis major off my humerus. Anyway, I would recommend plenty of overhead presses to maintain shoulder and tricep strength as well as flexibility in the shoulder. This would be analogous to doing math outside the scope of P1 to further enhance understanding of the P1 material. Two such examples would be brushing up on Calculus and basic Trigonometry. Knowing that root-2-over-2 can be expressed as Cos(Pi/4) may help with a problem or two.

  10. #10
    Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by JiggaJake724 View Post
    I used that same book for my stats class this past semester and did all of the soa problems online. I am going to be sitting for it in march. If you are able to do all of those problems online you should be fine, this is coming from people who have taken the exam in the past. Have you taken a calc based stats class before or are you just self studying? If you are teaching yourself all the concepts from that stats book i would suggest getting a manual. Maybe actex or asm

    Heres the link to the soa problems and solutions
    http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/edu-2008-spring-p-sols.pdf
    http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/edu-2008-spring-p-ques.pdf
    Here is the CBT version of the sample questions of SOA

    http://www.ActuarialCBT.com

    David
    Last edited by David.Han; January 4th 2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typo
    David Han
    Administer of ActuarialCBT.com --- Free online practice tests
    http://www.ActuarialCBT.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Exam P Study guides for sale.. new editions
    By yentihw in forum Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 19th 2008, 10:48 AM
  2. Study Guides for Exam M
    By jakebala in forum SOA Exam MLC - Actuarial Models, Life Contingencies - with practice exam problems
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 16th 2007, 12:43 PM
  3. Exam M Study Guides
    By bdenyer in forum SOA Exam MLC - Actuarial Models, Life Contingencies - with practice exam problems
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 23rd 2007, 06:46 PM
  4. S Broverman Exam Review Seminars and Study Guides
    By Sam Broverman in forum SOA Exam C / CAS Exam 4 - Construction + Evaluation of Models - with practice exam problems
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 10th 2005, 01:06 PM
  5. S Broverman Exam Review Seminars and Study Guides
    By Sam Broverman in forum SOA Exam P / CAS Exam 1 - Probability - with practice exam problems
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 10th 2005, 01:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •