Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exam P Study Guides

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Exam P Study Guides

Hello everyone,

I am planning on taking Exam P in May of '09. I have studied Wackerly's "Mathematical Statistics with Applications" textbook so far for my preparation for this exam, and now I am currently looking into purchasing one or more (probably more) comprehensive Exam P study guides.

I was wondering if anyone could please list the most popular Exam P study guides. In addition, if you could please give your opinion on which of the study guides listed you preferred, briefly explaining why this is the case.

Please let me know if there is a certain method you would suggest in approaching these study guides (or even studying for this Exam P, in general).

Thanks in advance for your help!

~Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am planning on taking Exam P in May of '09. I have studied Wackerly's "Mathematical Statistics with Applications" textbook so far for my preparation for this exam, and now I am currently looking into purchasing one or more (probably more) comprehensive Exam P study guides.

I was wondering if anyone could please list the most popular Exam P study guides. In addition, if you could please give your opinion on which of the study guides listed you preferred, briefly explaining why this is the case.

Please let me know if there is a certain method you would suggest in approaching these study guides (or even studying for this Exam P, in general).

~Chris

I used that same book for my stats class this past semester and did all of the soa problems online. I am going to be sitting for it in march. If you are able to do all of those problems online you should be fine, this is coming from people who have taken the exam in the past. Have you taken a calc based stats class before or are you just self studying? If you are teaching yourself all the concepts from that stats book i would suggest getting a manual. Maybe actex or asm

Heres the link to the soa problems and solutions
    http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/edu-2008-spring-p-sols.pdf
    http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/edu-2008-spring-p-ques.pdf

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    There is a free study guide for Exam P online and it's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopin-Lover View Post
    There is a free study guide for Exam P online and it's pretty good.
    Do you think you can post the link so i could take a look at it

Actuary.com - Level III Poster

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    The free one doesn't explain how to do "exam-level" problems very well. I got so frustrated trying to do SOA sample problems for binomial last week, I shelled out $85 for Guo's at the actuarial bookstore. I saw it recommended on Amazon from someone who had them all. Its fantastic so far.

Author, Instuctor and Seminar Provider krzysio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
    Hello everyone,

~Chris
    I am the author of the ASM Manual and post free weekly practice problems at this forum, so that you can see what you can expect. The publisher, ASN, at their site has links to more free samples. The "Been There Done That" manual.

Yours sincerely,
    Krzys' Ostaszewski
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Not getting one is terrible advice. There are also many ways to bench press 400 lbs. But not one of them involves solely training on a bowflex that tops out at 300. Krysio figures if he can train me to bench 450 then I can put up 400. I will probably buy his just for the many practice exams included. His latter practice exams go beyond the difficulty of exam p problems. Here's a conjecture for you: Guo's manual+ Dr. O's practice exams = pass. Did this not hold for anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by dliving View Post
    Not getting one is terrible advice. There are also many ways to bench press 400 lbs. But not one of them involves solely training on a bowflex that tops out at 300. Krysio figures if he can train me to bench 450 then I can put up 400. I will probably buy his just for the many practice exams included. His latter practice exams go beyond the difficulty of exam p problems. Here's a conjecture for you: Guo's manual+ Dr. O's practice exams = pass. Did this not hold for anyone?
    I just have to comment on your bench press analogy. :smiloe: I don't do much bench press anymore since tearing my right pectoralis major off my humerus. Anyway, I would recommend plenty of overhead presses to maintain shoulder and tricep strength as well as flexibility in the shoulder. This would be analogous to doing math outside the scope of P1 to further enhance understanding of the P1 material. Two such examples would be brushing up on Calculus and basic Trigonometry. Knowing that root-2-over-2 can be expressed as Cos(Pi/4) may help with a problem or two.

Quote Originally Posted by JiggaJake724 View Post
    I used that same book for my stats class this past semester and did all of the soa problems online. I am going to be sitting for it in march. If you are able to do all of those problems online you should be fine, this is coming from people who have taken the exam in the past. Have you taken a calc based stats class before or are you just self studying? If you are teaching yourself all the concepts from that stats book i would suggest getting a manual. Maybe actex or asm

Heres the link to the soa problems and solutions
    http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/edu-2008-spring-p-sols.pdf
    http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/edu-2008-spring-p-ques.pdf
    Here is the CBT version of the sample questions of SOA

http://www.ActuarialCBT.com

David
    Last edited by David.Han; January 4th 2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typo
    David Han
    Administer of ActuarialCBT.com --- Free online practice tests
    http://www.ActuarialCBT.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information