Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question, kindly help :)

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Question, kindly help :)

Hi all, the first thread I post.

I am also a high school student, I am facing problem choosing a suitable University. From what I heard, Nebraska-Lincoln, Wisconsin-Madison arent bad, is that true?

I hope you all can comment on this matter, or these 2 schools; and you are welcome to share your experiences. I would certainly need your advice

Quote Originally Posted by cyenwong
    Hi all, the first thread I post.

I am also a high school student, I am facing problem choosing a suitable University. From what I heard, Nebraska-Lincoln, Wisconsin-Madison arent bad, is that true?

I hope you all can comment on this matter, or these 2 schools; and you are welcome to share your experiences. I would certainly need your advice
    Go to the forum here for college students and look the threads over there - that should give you some help on choosing a college for actuarial science (which is what I'm assuming you were asking about). If you're asking about party schools, UW-Madison is *way* up on that list.

I have seen those thread. But ok, I will try to look for more if I left some. How about U of Nebraska Lincoln?

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster Ken's Avatar
    Are you specifically looking for schools that are surrounded by corn fields or will you consider other schools?
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Oops, dont really get you. Do you have any advice or comment, I really would like to hear

What areas are you considering? Primarily mid-west or are you also considering west coast, east coast, or maybe even Canada?
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Yup, as Ken says, what are your actual criterias when you are choosing a university ?

Erm, mostly I am considering Mid-West (western part might as well); just not the eastern part. Oh, and not Canada for me.
    Criteria, erm, for me, I hope to choose a good U. But you know that "good" to everyone is just different. So that's why I am hear, hoping to hear your advices, experiences. Maybe, U that offer 4 or more papers during studies might be good.
    Another question, is U that offer exemption for VEE good?
    Last edited by cyenwong; December 7th 2005 at 12:32 AM.

I don't want to offend you, but regardless of where you go, I recommend you take a couple English courses. Exams or papers are offered every six months or more frequently if you are taking the first one. This is from the SOA and not from your university so you can take them even if you don't go to college. No one is exempt from VEE. You take classes that satisfy it in college. It would be helpful if you take these classes while you are in college.

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    The Univ of Nebraska has a great actuarial science program. The Director of the program is a great professor, really cares about his students. The actuarial science club meets about once a month and is a good way to meet other students in your major as well as learn about the career. The classes offered are really geared towards passing the first two exams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information