Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters
Top Actuary Jobs
Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Actuary book !!

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Question About Actuary book !!

Hello everyone, can anyone tell me where can i buy book about actuary for non-actuary? because i want to know whether i suitable to become actuary or not. I've search for popular bookshop but none of it. For your info, I'm from Penang, Malaysia. Or can anyone tell me the book name?

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Hi, I'm from KL, Malaysia, currenty studying in US.
    If you want to buy study manuals from actuary papers, go to this website http://www.actexmadriver.com/index.cfm
    and search for the manual you want.
    There are different publications for the manuals, some popular ones are ACTEX and ASM.
    For actuarial study manuals, they are only available online, as far as i am concern, I don think any bookstore in malaysia sells the manuals.
    If you are considering taking up actuarial science, u must hav a strong foundation in stat and an interest in finance too.

Another alternative is www.actuarialbookstore.com
    This website has more choices of manuals including e-manuals

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Not sure what you mean by book about actuary for non-actuary. Are you looking for material as to what actuaries in different fields do? You can browse around the forums and find the answer to that, I think Irish Blues wrote up a whole post that you would find interesting. You can also look on beanactuary.org or the SOA or the CAS websites.

you study at which state of U.S? I heard U.S didn't have major in actuarial science right ?

Quote Originally Posted by tami411 View Post
    you study at which state of U.S? I heard U.S didn't have major in actuarial science right ?
    I finished a university so I don't study at one. There are a few universities in US that have Act. Sci. as a major: Wisconsin, U of I, Drake, etc.

I'm studying in Drake University, Iowa. According to universities counsellors, US offers the best act science programs. US education is good in a sense that it provides you flexibility to switch courses at any point of time. As for me, I'm majoring in act science joint finance, and my finance part only requires me to take 3 additional subjects. As long as you are switching among business related majors, it shouldnt be a problem, so u may consider surveying around for US universities if you are interested

yes. i searching courses at US. i prefer to study at california, los angelas. there have any good college ?

Quote Originally Posted by tami411 View Post
    yes. i searching courses at US. i prefer to study at california, los angelas. there have any good college ?
    Berekely, UCLA, Stanford, etc. are all great colleges in U.S. I'm not sure if any of them have a degree in Act. Sci. but you don't need a degree in Act. Sci. to be an actuary!

Actuary.com - Level I Poster Sandi Lynn Scherer's Avatar
    If you are looking for a reference to help you with general actuarial exam information and general information for use in considering an actuarial career, you may be interested in our book called, Making the Grade: The Aspiring Actuary's Guidebook to Consistent Exam Success and Advancement in the Workplace, by Nicholas Mocciolo, FSA.

http://www.actexmadriver.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=1769

It contains consolidated information on the various actuarial organizations in the US and Canada, exam success techniques, and non-technical skills critical to long term success in the actuarial profession.

We wish you luck!
    Sandi Lynn Scherer
    ACTEX Publications
    www.ActexMadRiver.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information