Salary Surveys Apply Bios Casualty Health Life Pension
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Advertise Here
Contact us at actuary@actuary.com or 770-425-8576
Reach top actuarial professionals

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the differnce between the SOA and the CAS?

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    does that mean if I want to follow the finance track
    i have to do CAS?
    Thanks a lot.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    I know that the SOA has a finance track, you would take course 8F.

Actuary.com - Level V Poster
    SoA is bigger, in part because it covers more diverse areas. Also, more insurers and pension plans recognize the need for life, health, and pension actuaries, and the need was seen earlier in those industries. Regulatory recognition and requirements started earlier for SoA actuaries.
    I thought this WAS a real job

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    I see from the salary survey at the DW Simpon website that the salary range for property and casualty is a little higher than the other salary ranges.

Would it be wise for new student who is mainly interested in making money to take the CAS sequence rather than SOA?

Actuary.com - Level V Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Med View Post
    I see from the salary survey at the DW Simpon website that the salary range for property and casualty is a little higher than the other salary ranges.

Would it be wise for new student who is mainly interested in making money to take the CAS sequence rather than SOA?
    Fortunately you have 2 exams' time for consideration.

If you are willing to sacrifice by taking one more exam, (we know MLC+MFE gives you credit for CAS Exam 3), then you have five exams' time to make a decision. By the way, when you make big money, hire me: I will be willing to do what it takes.

ctperng

Quote Originally Posted by Med View Post

If you're "mainly interested in making money", you're in the wrong field, regardless of what you're doing. Whatever it is you do, do it because you actually like the job. Above all else, never stay in a job where you get up in the morning and say to yourself as you're getting ready, "God, I hate my job, I wish I didn't have to go in, I wish the place would burn down and utterly fall in upon itself so I NEVER had to go in, ...." any longer than you absolutely have to.

I did that for 4 years while going through school. It was '''', I hated that job with a passion and couldn't wait to get out. I have never had that speech to myself in the morning since I started in this field.

If you're good at what you do and you enjoy your job, you'll make money regardless of what it is - but if you're only trying to make a lot of money first, ... well, I'll check back in 5 years and see how it's going for you. The same applies to which actuarial field you want to go into. Go into the one that really interests you, not the one that pays a little more but you could really care less about.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

so does CAS have a finance track ?
    if yes, wha's the difference between the finance track of CAS and that of SOA?
    :QuestionMark:

As of right now, CAS does not have a finance track, per se. With the CAS White Paper, there will be a discussion of how the exam structure for the upper level exams will be revamped for the future and this may be an option - but any change is still probably 2-3 years away and it's really too early to speculate on what will happen.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

SOA vs CAS

Would anyone know the difference between the SOA and CAS?
    Maybe a certain candidate would prefer one society
    whereas another certain candidate would prefer the other?
    Suggestions? Thank You

Actuary.com - Level V Poster djerry81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martman View Post
    Would anyone know the difference between the SOA and CAS?
    Maybe a certain candidate would prefer one society
    whereas another certain candidate would prefer the other?
    Suggestions? Thank You
    O and C are the difference :laugh:

CAS is casuality actuarial society P&C mainly I believe

SOA is the rest life disability health blah blah

P&C pays more but probably more stressful

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information